Sam's Choice Coffee and Donuts

Kyle and I randomly decided to go to Wal-Mart the other day.  (This may not actually have been so random, I've had my eye on Sam's Choice Ice Cream for quite a while.)  In the ice cream aisle I decided to pick up a quart of Sam's Choice Coffee and Donut ice cream.

I'm kind of surprised that I haven't seen this flavor combination before now.  I mean, coffee and donuts go together so well as do ice cream and donuts.  (Don't believe me?  Go try it.)  I had really high hopes for this ice cream in the sense that its really difficult to do a bad coffee ice cream, and donut chunks can only enhance things.  Boy were my expectations blown out of the water.  This is a contender for best ice cream of the year.  Wow.



This ice cream is described as Coffee Ice Cream with Swirls of Icing and Donut Pieces.  The first thing you notice when you open the pint are the, uh, interesting looking icing swirls.  The icing melds nicely with the coffee ice cream.  When you are eating it you don't really notice much of a texture difference between the icing and the ice cream; instead, the icing gives the ice cream an extra boost of sweetness.

That icing, though!

The donut chunks were medium in size and very dense.  I've never had a donut as dense and chewy as the donut pieces in this ice cream, but I see that not as a failure of the ice cream, but rather as a failure of donuts throughout the world.



The secret ingredient that elevates this ice cream from good to great is the nutmeg.  I love nutmeg.  I put it in everything from pasta sauce to curry to oatmeal to blueberry pie.  When I took my first bite of this ice cream, I couldn't believe my tastebuds and had to check the ingredient list.  Lo and behold, in the list of ingredients for the donut chunks, there was humble nutmeg.  The nutmeg seeped out of the donut pieces and infused the entire quart with an exotic enticing spiciness.  I have never had a donut with cinnamon and nutmeg baked in, but now I want one.

If I were to change anything about this ice cream, I would slightly dial back the nutmeg flavor and slightly dial back up the coffee flavor, but these changes are like telling all-around gold medal winner Gabby Douglas she wasn't quite perfect.  This ice cream is amazing, and at about $4 for the quart it's relatively cheap as good ice cream goes!

Based on this I'll have to pick up more flavors of Sam's Choice Ice Cream in the future.  I've got my eye on Blackberry Crumble and Raspberry White Chocolate Cheesecake.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd