Black Dog Gelato: Chocolate Fudgiscle

Wow Madeline has really been killing it with the number of posts these last few days. I feel like a slacker. Gosh, what have I been doing with all my time? Well I'm about to get really real with you dear reader, I don't review every ice cream I eat. Sometimes I just feel like mindlessly shoveling ice cream in my face and not really thinking about how good it is or isn't. Because lets be honest, it's ice cream, it tastes good, and it's fun to mindlessly shovel in your face. Also sometimes, I forget to bring my camera or something. Also if I actually wrote a post about each and every ice cream I ate I would do nothing else with my life. And although write now I basically run and eat ice cream and do nothing all day, I will soon have a job and, you know, have things to do with my time other than write this blog. Until you, dear readers, start paying me to write this (which I would love), I'll have to keep this AmeriCorps gig. (Although with this "job" I don't know if I'm getting paid or "paid".)

But my not reviewing every ice cream I eat is not actually the thing that has prevented me from keeping pace with Madeline. There are a few things. First, on Sunday-Monday I spent 26 or so hours traveling to Chicago and back and seeing the last day of the Pitchfork Music Festival while I was there. It was awesome. Then after basically sleeping all day on Monday to recover, I spent all day yesterday driving and moving all of my stuff (my God I have a lot of stuff) to Eldon, Missouri, where my AmeriCorps "job" is. I spent most of today sleeping to recover from taking about 18 million loads of heavy things up the stairs to my apartment in 95 degree heat and driving for about a total of 5.5 hours round trip, St. Louis to Eldon and back.

Well, now that I've told you significantly more about my life than I normally do, you're probably wondering where in all this I had Chocolate Fudgiscle gelato from Black Dog. For those of you that know your gelato well, or know the Chicago area, you would probably guess I had it at the Pitchfork Music Festival. And you would be correct! After spending way too much money on a small, but tasty portion of falafel (that's festival food for you), my friend Lizzie and I were still hungry so we decided to get some gelato. This was going to be one of those times when I mindlessly ate a frozen dairy dessert, because we were going to eat our gelato while listening to the band Dum Dum Girls and I wanted to use my mental functioning for listening to the music. But after one bite of this kinda melty, $4 cone of gelato I quickly came to the realization I would need to blog about this flavor.

Look at that melty perfection.

Although advertised as Chocolate Fudgsicle flavored, this gelato didn't taste like a fudgsicle. However, I was not disappointed. This gelato didn't really taste like chocolate either. But again, not sad. This gelato, my friends, tasted like cocoa powder. Like really strongly of cocoa powder. It was awesome. It was very dark, and bittersweet and the best dark chocolate frozen dairy product I've ever had, although it wasn't advertised as one. I would love to watch them make this and see how much cocoa powder they use. Yum. The texture of this gelato was really nice too. It was very smooth, smoother than any other gelato I've had, and very soft, and not just because it was melty from being outside all day (those ice cream containers can really only do so much). I really need to go to the actual shop for Black Dog gelato to see if the rest of their flavors are as impressive as this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd