Haagen-Dazs Limited Edition Peanut Butter Pie

Peanut Butter Pie is one of my favorite (non ice cream!) desserts ever because it is delicious and soooo easy to make.  If you're really lazy you just buy a pre-made graham cracker crust, mix together peanut butter, sugar, cream cheese, etc... pour it in and stick it in the fridge for a couple hours.  My secret to good peanut butter pie is to use 1.5 to 2 times as much peanut butter as the recipe actually calls for.

Needless to say, I was pretty excited when I saw this beauty pop on the grocery store shelves around Christmas of 2012 and immediately grabbed a pint.  I remember being really disappointed by that flavor of ice cream and thinking it didn't taste anything like peanut butter pie.  Because of that I had avoided picking up another pint until now.  I decided I should grab one and put it on the blog before it was gone forever.



This ice cream is described as

Inspired by a favorite family recipe, our Peanut Butter Pie Ice Cream is made with ribbons of smooth peanut butter and soft chocolate cookie pieces folded into creamy peanut butter ice cream - an indulgent combination sure to be a favorite in your home.

I don't know what I was thinking last time I tried this ice cream, this time I thought it tasted exactly like peanut butter pie.  The peanut butter flavored ice cream was mellower than other brands of peanut butter ice cream I've had, which is perfect because the peanut butter flavor in peanut butter pie is mellower than straight peanut butter.  It was also smoother, less dense, and creamier than actual peanut butter; again just like the comparison of peanut butter pie to normal peanut butter pie.

The peanut butter swirls were delicious but could have been a bit thicker.




The one major complaint I have about the ice cream is the chocolate cookie pieces.  To me, they were bland and tasteless.  They were large and broke up the creaminess of the ice cream, but I just can't forgive blandness in ice cream.  I also think that the pre-made chocolate graham cracker crusts are tasteless, but who says you have to stick to the original when you could improve upon it.

Look at that swirl!  Look at that cookie!

Overall though, Haagen-Dazs delivers another great limited edition flavor.  Go out and pick up a pint before it's gone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd