Haagen-Dazs Limited Edition Midnight Cookies and Cream

Let me get this out of the way.  I'm a fail-blogger and got no pictures of this ice cream.  Just imagine chocolate-y goodness with more chocolate-y goodness mixed in and you'll get the picture.

The Haagen-Dazs Limited Edition flavor Midnight Cookies and Cream is described as

We blend buttery ribbons of and chocolate wafer cookies into smooth chocolate ice cream for the indulgent twist on the classic cookies & cream.

First I will review the actual ice cream and then I will bitch and moan a little bit about the description of the ice cream.

Haagen-Dazs' chocolate ice cream is, in my opinion, what really makes it a premium ice cream blend.  I think it is my favorite chocolate base.  It's unfortunate because they really don't have that many flavors that use a chocolate base.  They have this one, Rocky Road, Chocolate and Peanut Butter, and Chocolate Chocolate Chip, but I think that is it.  I really really think they should develop more and more unique chocolate-based flavors.

The cookie chunks in this ice cream were medium in size and very, very chewy and delicious.  The fudge ribbons were small, so small that I can't comment on whether or not the texture was 'buttery.'  I don't know how long Haagen-Dazs sells limited edition flavors before discontinuing them, but I do know this flavor has been around for at least a year.  I remember buying a pint last summer.  With that in mind, if this flavor sounds interesting to you, you should definitely hurry out to buy a pint.

Now for my complaints about the description.  I get what Haagen-Dazs is going for by saying this is an 'indulgent twist on the classic cookies and cream.'  There are chocolate cookies instead of Oreos and fudge instead of Oreo cream.  I can let them get away with the cookie substitution, but to me the 'cream' in cookies and cream means something very specific in ice cream land.  You can't just go around saying any type of swirl is 'cream.'  You just can't.  Also, Haagen-Dazs claims that the cookies in the ice cream are chocolate wafer cookies.  This picture below is what I think of when I think of chocolate wafer cookies.  If you compare this with the picture of the pint you will see two very different cookies.  I'm glad they didn't use the chocolate wafer cookies I was thinking of because they are not very good.

All in all, Haagen-Dazs hit a home run with the flavor and struck out with the description.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd