Kemp's Classic Chocolate Cupcake

Today I have a new to me brand, Kemp's Ice Cream.  I have seen various Kemp's dairy products in the refrigerated section at the grocery stores since I moved to Minnesota.  I have so far avoided picking up any Kemp's ice cream because I thought it was a store brand.  Kyle wanted to pick up some ice cream after we went salsa dancing yesterday. (He knows better than to dig in to my stash without my permission!)  At our local Cub Foods he picked out a 1.5 quart container of the flavor Classic Chocolate Cupcake for about $5 (this was the sale price, I think the regular price is $6).



From the image on the front of the carton it is clear that the 'classic chocolate cupcakes' in question are Hostess Cupcakes.  The ice cream is described as

Chocolate cake flavored ice cream swirled with white frosting and sprinkled with chocolate cupcake pieces.

I have to say, this was a pretty faithful representation of the 'classic chocolate cupcake.'  The first thing I noticed about this ice cream was the absolutely AMAZING texture.  This ice cream was rich and fluffy and creamy perfection.  This is what all ice cream should strive for.  I was so surprised to find this in a brand I don't think of as 'gourmet' ice cream, but I guess you shouldn't judge an ice cream by its carton.

The chocolate cake ice cream base had a little more oomph than your usual chocolate ice cream base.  I think this was due in part to the fact that it is a chocolate cake base and not strictly a chocolate base.  From looking at the ingredient list, it might be the addition of molasses that gives this delicious flavor,  but I don't really know.  The white frosting swirl was about the texture of marshmallow fluff, and tasted exactly like the cream filling of a Hostess cupcake.  The chocolate cupcake pieces were small but abundant, which suited this ice cream well.



I did a little research about Kemp's because I was surprised that I had never heard of this brand before.  From their website, here is why:

Since 1914, Kemps has been delighting families throughout the upper Midwest with wholesome and delicious dairy products. From our beginnings as a small creamery in Southeastern Minnesota, Kemps has extended its roots to include the manufacture and marketing of fresh milk, premium ice cream and frozen yogurt, frozen novelties, sour cream and cottage cheese through retail supermarkets and food service channels. Headquartered today in St. Paul, Minnesota, we operate five manufacturing facilities in Minnesota and Wisconsin and have over 1,126 employees.

Sorry for all of you who don't live in the upper Midwest.  I guess living in dairy country has its perks sometimes!

Kemp's actually seems like a pretty cool company.  They source most of their milk from farms in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa and from contiguous states in times of shortage.  They also bottle their milk locally.  Their FAQ page also has some good tips about how to store ice cream (in the back of the freezer so it doesn't unfreeze and refreeze causing crystallizaton aka the worst thing for ice cream ever).

Another delicious cheap thrill.  I'll definitely be looking to pick up other Kemp's flavors in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd