I Scream Cakes II

Oh what can I say about Cherokee street, a street where hipster culture and hispanic culture mash lovingly into one another with taquerias next to discount furniture stores next to an employee-owned anarchist bakery.  That's just St. Louis for you.  The street's vibe is more down and dirty than the curated hipster experience shown whenever NBC Nightly News showcases the latest artisanal mayonnaise craze exploding out of Brooklyn.

I Scream Cakes is definitely on the hipster end of this spectrum.  They make custom cakes as well as functioning as an ice cream scoop shop.  The first thing I noticed when I entered the shop was that these ice cream makers were not kidding around with their flavors.  I think mint-chocolate chip and vanilla bean were the only 'ordinary' flavors on offer that day.  You can see why I put ordinary in quotation marks by reading Lizzy's review of mint chocolate chip ice cream here.

When Lizzy and I walked in the woman working the counter was just refilling their Mango Mojito flavor and offered us both a sample.  She could see we were still having trouble coming to a decision about which flavors to order so she offered us samples of several other flavors.  Employees offering samples instead of customers requesting them is a small thing that I think hugely improves the scoop shop experience.  I understand if it's really busy and you don't have time to spend a ton of time with each customer, but if there is no one else in the shop, it's a small thing that will make me love you.  To make a long story short, I Scream Cakes was off to a wonderful start.

For my two scoops (coming in at $4.88) I chose the (vegan!) Mango Mojito and (non-vegan!) Blueberry Cheesecake.


The Blueberry Cheesecake was great.  The blueberry flavor was strong and made beautifully colored swirls.  The cheesecake chunks were huge and squishy.  My only complaint about this ice cream was that it seemed to be a bit over-frozen.  If I was more patient I would have let it sit for a few minutes, but I just wanted to eat it, so I did.

The real standout to me was the Mango Mojito.  The base of this vegan ice cream was coconut milk, but you couldn't taste any coconut flavor, which is sometimes an issue with vegan ice creams.  Mint is one of my favorite flavors ever and mojitos are my favorite drink, so obviously I had to have some of this ice cream.  The main flavors were lime and intense mint.  I think there were real mint leaves blended in to the ice cream (see the dark green flecks in the picture above) which gave it the intense minty flavor.  The mango flavor wasn't strong, it served more to bridge the creaminess of the ice cream and the intenseness of the mint flavor.  Pure perfection!

Next time you're in the neighborhood (or not!) I highly recommend a visit to I Scream Cakes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd