Izzy's Red Bean Ice Cream Serves as Another Reader Request

There's a shop on the Delmar Loop called St. Louis Bubble Tea that serves Bubble tea (obviously) and various Chinese dishes.  One of my favorite things to get there was a sweet bun filled with red bean paste.  They always had buns with various different fillings, and the red bean buns made an appearance only rarely, so it was really a treat when the stars aligned to deliver a delicious red bean bun into my hands.

Red bean paste is made from boiling and mashing Azuki beans and then sweeting the results.  Yum!

I had a dance performance this weekend and my wonderful parents drove the nine hours from St. Louis to see me!  The theater was a 10 minute walk from Izzy's so obviously we had to go get ice cream after the show.  I'm about to out my mom (sorry mom!), but she said this was the first time she'd had ice cream in years!  Years!

Izzy's Red Bean ice cream is, unfortunately not a regular flavor.  There was nothing on the sign indicating this was a test or special batch, so I almost didn't get it (it was a really hard choice between Red Bean and an intriguing flavor Beets & Berries).  I was swayed toward Red Bean because it was a reader request.



This ice cream was absolute perfection.  The texture was slightly gritty, which reminded me of other red bean treats I have had in the past.  IT'S LIKE IT WAS MADE WITH REAL AZUKI BEANS OR SOMETHING!  Egads!

This was a simple flavor: sweet ice cream and delicious, red azuki beans.  There was beauty and deliciousness in this simplicity.  The only thing that could make it better was if it was a permanent flavor.

I had cake batter flavor for my Izzy scoop, which was also top-notch.

Comments

  1. I got Mexican Chocolate, and my Izzy scoop was Blueberry Yogurt. Both were really good, but I almost wish I had reversed the order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate almond with a salted caramel Izzy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd