Kroger Deluxe Frozen Non Fat Greek Yogurt Honey Vanilla

This is my first post about a frozen dessert that is made to be healthier than your standard ice cream. I love my full fat, full calorie ice creams, but I know not every does, at least all of the time! I think ice cream should be for everybody, so I really like the idea of frozen yogurt. I also like frozen yogurt better than just low fat ice cream, that may just have more sugar or something to make up the taste. However, I haven't reviewed such an ice cream on the blog. I went to the store, Gerbe's, today to restock my freezer. I went with the intention to either buy a sorbet or some form of frozen yogurt dessert. There was not sorbet at Gerbe's that I saw and Kroger was the only brand of frozen yogurt they had. So there we go.

Honestly my expectations aren't high for this product. However, with my Gerbe's card it only cost $1!!!! ONE DOLLAR! And even if you didn't have a Gerbe's card it would only have been $2.29. For a whole pint. So honestly it could be pretty bad and you'd still be getting a big bang for your buck.



So this frozen yogurt is a vanilla base with a honey swirl. The tastes were good. Pretty standard vanilla, and the honey tasted like real honey. Pretty good! Not like high quality artisan honey, more like it came out of a plastic bear, but again for $1 not bad. And there was even real honey in the ingredients. Corn syrup may or may not, and by that I mean it was, ahead of honey in the ingredients, but hey real honey. The texture, however, I wouldn't even call pretty good. It was very hard and icy, but hard like a hard ice cream with little air or something. It came out of the pint in these big chunks that would kind break up as it melted, instead of being smooth. And when it was melted it was a very thin liquid :(



Now for the nutrition facts, which I think is an important part of a product that is trying to market itself as healthy. Calories were 120 for a half cup. Now this is really low compared to Haagen Dazs vanilla, for example, 250 per half cup. However, I think if you are buying Haagen Dazs vanilla, you aren't going for health. And Breyer's vanilla, a more comparable brand to a store brand like Kroger's, has a calorie content of 110-140 (yes they have four different plain vanilla varieties whyyyyy?). Protein is the other main selling point of Greek yogurt. The Breyer's vanilla ice creams only have 3 grams of protein per half cup, while this had 6. So more protein bang for your buck. But whey protein is also in the ingredients. It makes me feel like they just added protein to a non fat ice cream, and it's not really Greek frozen yogurt.  But a lot of peanut buttery ice creams, like Haagen Dazs Chocolate Peanut Butter, have really high protein content because peanuts do. This Haagen Dazs flavor, for example has, 8 grams per half cup.

See how the chunks are, well, chunks. They are all squarish and held their shape coming out of the container, and didn't conform to the scoop like a hard ice cream would.


Over all I didn't love this treat. But if you are looking for a bargain, low cal, but higher protein treat, this is the way to go. And to be honest, that's not often the combo I'm looking for.

Also look at the pretty ice cream chalices my mom bought for me at Goodwill! First time using them :)

Comments

  1. Gerbe. Gerbe Gerbe Gerbe. That is fun to say, and hey, you can't pass up $1 frozen desserts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd