Central Dairy Muddy River

As a very excited new Central Missouri resident, I am obligated to attempt to overload myself on Central Dairy ice cream. Luckily my AmeriCorps job has helped me out. We went to Jefferson City yesterday as part of our orientation and got to stop by Central Dairy before we went home. YAYAYAY! Interesting fact, Central Dairy is owned by Prairie Farms, but according to reviews online, when they bought it out they didn't change the ice cream! Also their slogan is "Fresh as a Missouri Morning." Which I think is adorable. Especially when cows say it: http://www.centraldairy.biz/images/Morning%20TV.wmv



As I attempted to peruse the flavors available in the ever crowded Central Dairy I spotted the flavor entitled Muddy River. I was all like er mah gerd I gotta have this! I even convinced one of my to get it to. Of course, I know that the muddy river they are probably referencing is the Missouri River, not the Mississippi a name is a name and the name of this ice cream made it meant for me to review. Now in this review I will be comparing this flavor to Tiger Tracks a lot. I do this because they seemed to be following a similar model: base ice cream with two chunks and a swirl.

Muddy River is described as: Chocolate Brownie Batter Ice Cream Swirled with Butter Fudge Ribbon and Sprinkled with Chocolate Truffles and White Chocolate Flakes. Nommm.

Also this cone was about $3!!


Again, I'll work with the first element and work my way through. The chocolate brownie batter ice cream honestly tasted like chocolate ice cream. I didn't get much of a batter taste, which was disappointing, because I looove brownie batter. It was maybe a touch sweeter/creamier tasting than an average chocolate ice cream, but with a blind taste test I would not have named it as brownie batter. I enjoyed the butter fudge ribbon. There wasn't as much of it as I would have liked, but it was buttery, with a much gooeyer texture than the fudge ribbon of the Tiger Tracks, which worked well with the other elements of this ice cream. The real stars, and the saving grace, of this ice cream were the chunks. The truffles were just like those of the Tiger Tracks, soooo dark and bitter and rich and yummmm. The white chocolate flakes were definitely more like small chunks than flakes which was amazing, and they weren't too hard or crumbly.  They also really balanced out the truffles. If the base ice cream had tasted more like batter, this ice cream would have been an A, but with what was essentially a chocolate base, I wouldn't give it more than a B. I'm really hoping Central Dairy has that can really wow me. The ones I've had so far have been good, but nothing really stellar yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd