Haagen-Dazs Sea Salt Caramel Gelato

I have had mixed experiences with Haagen-Dazs gelato.  The Stracciatella frankly sucked, but the newer Pomegranate Swirl flavor was delightful.  When I saw that Target had pints of Haagen-Dazs on sale for $3 a pop, I decided to pick up some gelato and sorbet.  That way, if they sucked, I didn't pay very much money for them.

The gelato I decided on was Sea Salt Caramel.  I've been interested to try this to compare it to Talenti's Sea Salt Caramel flavor which is heaven on earth.  Also, it's pretty hard to really screw up a salted caramel flavor.



I feel that salted caramel has really come into vogue in the last few years.  In high school and undergrad I think I can safely say that I had never had anything claiming to be salted caramel flavored.  Not a cookie, not a latte, and certainly not ice cream.  Maybe I was not as flavor-aware then as I am now, but I really think it is because salted caramel flavor was not very common until recently.  In my opinion, the preponderance of salted caramel flavored items is a truly great thing, an enticing blend of savory and sweet.

This gelato is described as

Caramel gelato blended with ribbons of sea salt caramel.



This gelato totally holds its own against Talenti's sea-salt caramel.  It's a bit lighter, creamier, and sweeter than the dark and tempestuous Talenti.  It's the good-natured cheerful sibling and Talenti is the angsty teen.  The sea salt caramel swirl was thick, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get a good picture, just trust me though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd