Guest post alert! Alex tells you about Froz Broz Black Lager with Candied Pretzels

I could not have been more excited last week to pick up a couple of pints of Froz Broz with Madeline. The aforementioned Froz Broz flavor list is ridiculous and when you're traveling with the doyen of Twin Cities' ice cream scene you know you won't go wrong on the flavor front.

Unfortunately, there were more flavors reserved for the weekly pint giveaway winners than there were available to the 99% like us. Still, there were three great-looking flavors to choose from and I was very pumped. Then Madeline suggested we get different ice creams. This is Madeline, a person who has spent the last two years eating and reviewing ice cream, who knows exactly what ice creams are in stock in which stores at any given moment, who—I have no doubt—receives some sort of bat signal when a new flavor arrives. Going ice cream shopping with her and getting a different flavor is like watching what a chef orders at her own restaurant, flipping her off, and then pointing blindly at the menu to order.

I felt like I was in a horror movie and someone just suggested we split up. I felt lost out there. I just knew I was going to be her guinea pig. Nevertheless, I decided to trust her and ended up getting the Black Lager with Candied Pretzels and the Toasted Grits with Maple Syrup while she got a pint of Black Sea Salt Malt (that she promised a review of weeks ago) and also a pint of toasted grits.


An image worth precisely 34 words.
 According to Froz Broz, the flavor is
"a classic combination that meets present day ice cream. And by present day, I mean future. Rich caramelly black lager ice cream with crunchers of malty candied pretzels. It's beer and pretzels at their best."
I started to feel a little better about being used.

Their flavor description is on point: the base black lager flavor was indeed "caramelly" and I was very happy with the atypical use of a lager. It seems hard to find a beer ice cream that isn't a porter or (particularly) a stout. The candied pretzels were simultaneously buttery, sweet, and just a little salty. Importantly, they were distributed generously throughout the pint.

Professionally photographed

The black lager base was delicious, the candied pretzels were delicious, the whole thing could have been spectacularly delicious. The whole thing should have been spectacularly delicious. The whole thing, however, was only regular delicious. It was held back from the nirvana that is their Toasted Grits flavor by the texture. The ice cream itself was a bit icy (much more than my toasted grits pint, so I don't think this was 'user error') and, much more regrettably, the candied pretzels as a whole just did not have enough crunch. In fact, some of the smaller pieces were downright soggy. Every now and then though an especially big chunk of pretzel would still have some crunch in the middle and it pulled the ice cream together marvelously.

All in all, this was a very good ice cream with distinct potential for greatness. Would buy again.

Get on it, Madeline!
Madeline's note: I super-duper promise that I will get on the Black Sea Salt Malt Review.  I'm the worst.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd