New (to me) Brand Alert: Froz Broz Toasted Grits with Maple Syrup

I have to credit my friend Alex with introducing me to a brand of Minneapolis ice cream I was not familiar with (ice cream blogger fail!), and also being my partner in crime/fellow ice cream adventurer last Tuesday. Froz Broz is a craft ice cream maker who manufactures their ice cream at City Food Studio (aside: this place is such a cool idea, go read about it!). Froz Broz sells their ice cream on Tuesdays from 5-8pm and Saturday 9am-1pm at City Food Studio at 3722 Chicago Avenue S.

Before heading over to City Food Studios to pick up a couple pints I did some snooping around the Froz Broz flavor list. Let me tell you, these are my kinds of flavors. The more out there it is, the more excited I am to try it.  Just look at their flavor list to see what I mean. Excitement building!

Alex and I made it out to City Food Studio last Tuesday, and I picked up a pint of Toasted Grits with Maple Syrup and a pint of Black Sea Salt Malt.  I have a review of the Toasted Grits today, and the Sea Salt review will be up in a few days.

Toasted Grits with Maple Syrup is exactly what it sounds like.  (For those who don't know, grits is made of ground corn and is typically a breakfast dish.)  I was expecting to like this flavor, but I was not expecting to like is as much as I did. It was fantastic.  Sometimes grits can be pretty bland, so I was a bit worried this would be the case with the ice cream too.  I figured the prominent flavor would be the maple syrup.  Oh, how wrong I was.



I initially had a hard time figuring out how to describe this flavor. It tasted like toasted corn. This is not super descriptive for those who have not had toasted corn (sometimes sold as corn nuts), so I wanted to do better.  I finally cheated and just looked on the Froz Broz description of the flavor. (Bonus, they include the recipe!) To quote, "The finished product reminds me a bit of the cereal Corn Pops."  Yes, yes, yes, all the way yes. The main flavor here was the toasted corn flavor, accented and sweetened by not-overly-maply-maple syrup.  So good. I could have easily eaten this pint in one sitting.

See that little maple syrup bit in the top left? Nom.
There weren't really mix-ins to speak of, but there was a nice, thick maple syrup swirl.  Bites with a bit of the swirl were kicked up a notch in terms of sweetness, but the maple syrup flavor did infuse the whole pint.  Unfortunately the texture on this was full of ice crystal, but I chalk that up to 'user error' not to bad texture on the manufacturing end.  The bus ride home took about an hour, and I forgot to bring anything with me to insulate the ice cream, so it had a pretty good chance to melt before reaching my freezer.  Next time I buy some Froz Broz, I'll just have to eat the entire pint on the way home.  Or, you know, bring a cooler or something.

Icy! When in doubt, just down your two pints of ice cream immediately. Don't take them on the bus.
I'm incredibly glad Alex discovered this brand, and I'll be keeping a close eye on their upcoming flavors.  I expect lots of things in the future that I won't be able to pass up.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd