Breyer's Tiramisu Gelato Indulgences

"The time has come", the Lizzy said, to eat of many things, "Of ice cream--and gelato--and frozen custard--of froyo--and things between. And Breyer's frozen dairy desserts--and their new gelato things"



When I bought this Tiramisu Gelato Indulgences last week, with the coupon I discussed in my last post, I was thinking to myself, "the time has come".  Being raised as a Handschy, I cannot think that phrase without continuing on with "the walrus said" and so on and so on. If you now think I am an absolute lunatic, stop right where you are, go read Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There and then pick up here where you left off.



But really, the time has come. The Gelato Indulgences have been out for a while now and it is about time someone at Big Muddy reviewed one. I was putting it off as long as I could, because I think they sound gross and I have read they are gross.



I chose the Tiramisu because it is one of my favorite desserts. I hope this won't be too bad.

The description on the container reads Mascarpone gelato with espresso sauce & gourmet cocoa over ladyfinger cookie pieces.

I have quite a bit to say about this product, and a bunch of pictures, because the visual experience of this product is more important than it is in a lot of other products. I do have to say the Tiramisu Indulgences is quite pretty.

My first bite, however, was not. I only got the cocoa and the gelato. The tastes were fine, but woah that texture. Super weird and I do not like it. It was kind of slimy, or gummy, or something. It is not soft, but it is overly smooth, at the same time. Other than slimy, the texture of this is difficult to describe, but I don't enjoy it. As I was poking it, it sort of reminded me of the hot dogs in school lunches. Did you ever bounce your hot dog on your tray and see it go surprisingly high into their air? While poking this gelato, it was almost boingy. Sorry for the unappetizing description, but it was the first thought that popped into my mind.



In my next bite, I got some of the espresso "sauce." I put sauce in quotes because it was not any more liquid than the ice cream. But it at least doesn't have the weird slimy texture. The taste is better than I expected. It tasted like espresso, not coffee and I enjoyed it.



In addition, as I got further down into the container, the espresso sauce was more liquid like a sauce. It must have needed a bit of softening to gain its full sauce-like qualities.

Saucy


Now for the ladyfingers pieces. Yum. These were my favorite part. I kept digging the bottom out from under the top of the product to get the ladyfingers. Which will come back to haunt me as I finish the container and there are none left. They were sweet, crumbly, and added another hit of coffee and cocoa flavor.



The best way to eat this product is out of the container. This way you can send your spoon vertically through it and get a bit of each element in each bite. This is great for two reasons. One, all of the elements work well together and two, getting all of the elements together distracts from the super weird texture.




I ate more of this gelato each time I sat down to eat it than I expected. It definitely grows on you as you eat it, especially if you can get bites with all the elements together. Although this product was better than my extremely low expectations for it, and I liked it, I don't think I could get past the texture enough to buy it again. I should try Haagen-Dazs version soon and let you know if that is a better bet.

Last notes, there aren't FDA requirements for what can be labeled gelato like there are for ice cream, which may be why Breyers can actually call this gelato, and they don't have to call it frozen dairy dessert.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd