David's Famous Gourmet Frozen Custard: Coffee

Although Madeline has already eaten a pint of every flavor of David's frozen custard, I am still back here plugging along on flavor two. However, there are only seven flavors total so I am extremely confident in my ability to try all of them.

I love having this geezer in my freezer


I decided to try the coffee flavor next because it was the flavor that started it all. I also had a great idea for a sundae and I needed a coffee flavor for it. More on that later.




First the review.



This was not the strongest coffee flavored ice cream I have ever had. It was relatively standard in terms of the strength of the coffee flavor. However, what was a little different about this flavor is you could taste the cream in it.



This flavor also has vanilla in it, and you could definitely taste the vanilla as well. I would also say this pint had a complex and round flavor, as opposed to something sharp or bold, like an espresso flavored ice cream would be. Not too long ago, I reviewed Three Twins' Milk Coffee flavor, which tasted like coffee with milk and sugar. This, on the other hand, tasted like coffee with sweet cream. I guess what I'm trying to say is this tasted like coffee ice cream. Which is usually what you want when you eat coffee ice cream!




The texture of this flavor was just like what I described in my review of the butter mint flavor. I still really, really like it, but making a sundae with this flavor was a bit of an eye opener. I always use the same ice cream cone shaped glass I own to make my Sunday Sundaes. However, as I scooped this ice cream into the glass, I squished so much air out of it, it took half the pint to fill the glass! Usually I use a quarter of a pint to make a sundae. The next day I sat down to eat the rest of the pint and it seemed to be gone in mere minutes.

Almost gone! Sad face.


So the high overrun David's uses does make the texture super awesome, unique, and interesting. However, it makes it super easy to eat a lot of this ice cream quickly and finish kind of disappointed there isn't more. Madeline talked to David and she was told part of the reason their overrun is so high is to keep the price of the pints down, as ice cream is more expensive than air. And I get this reasoning, I do. But if I am just going to eat the ice cream more quickly and end up buying more ice cream does it actually keep the costs down for me in the long run?


My Mocha sundae! I made it with David's Famous Gourmet Coffee Frozen Custard, obviously, Hershey's hot fudge, chocolate covered espresso beans from the Mennonite market, Weaver's and whipped cream! Yum. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd