Ted Drewes: The Christy

If you have been to Ted Drewes, you have heard of the Christy sundae. It is definitely a classic, but I have never tried it! I really don't often get sundaes at Ted Drewes because I am so partial to concretes. But the last time I reviewed Ted Drewes, I got a concrete, so I decided to mix it up and get a sundae.

Such a beautiful sundae, under the gorgeous yellow lights of the Ted Drewes sign.


When my friends, Bronwyn and Katy, and I pulled up to Ted Drewes last Saturday night, we experienced what many experience when arriving at Ted Drewes in the summer, especially on a weekend. The crowd was huge, the parking lot was packed, and in general, it was just a zoo. When looking at a scene like that, you can't help but think, "This is going to take for ever." But we persevered, knowing that the Ted Drewes staff are total pros. We parked at the Catholic supply store across and played a pretty exciting game of frogger to get across the street. Laughing at the Catholic supply store across the street from Ted Drewes is actually one of the best parts of a Ted Drewes visit.

I took this picture when we were leaving and the crowd had noticeably shrunk between the time we arrived and the time we left.


Even though Ted Drewes more packed than I have ever seen it, our wait was only just long enough for me to be really really anxious about making a decision before it was our turn, and then just in the nick of time, decide on the Christy. I figured, if I was going to get a sundae at Ted Drewes, I might as well get the sundae at Ted Drewes.

The Christy is described as an Iced brownie topped with custard, caramel and hot fudge and it is named for Ted's daughter, Christy.

Adorable hand written descriptions for their specials.


When I got my order, shortly after I'd ordered it, I was impressed with the size of the sundae. There was a really good amount of brownie and custard. The brownie was probably just under an inch thick. I also didn't run out of brownie before I ate all the custard or vice versa, which can be the worst part of eating ice cream with some other dessert. I like to get some of both in each bite.



The brownie wasn't super moist, it was more of the thick, dense, chewy variety, that you really have to munch on, as opposed to something more moist that melts in your mouth. I think this is the perfect brownie to be served with ice cream or custard, because then the ice cream can soak in and moisten the brownie. Yum. The frosting on the brownie, was pretty thin, but that was fine. It added just a nice touch of extra sweetness to the flavor of the brownie and made this a bit more exciting than a typical brownie sundae (other than the fact that this a Ted Drewes brownie sundae so it is gonna be better than anything else).



The hot fudge was really good. It was thick and abundant. The caramel sauce wasn't quite as abundant as the hot fudge and it was much thinner and liquidier than the fudge. When you have two chocolate elements, the brownie and the fudge, and only one caramel element, I think you would have to have a lot more of the caramel sauce for the flavor to really come out to play. And it was definitely a bit hidden in this sundae. If you haven't tried this sundae, I definitely suggest it the next time you go to Ted Drewes. Even you crazy people who always order the same thing ought to mix it up a bit and give this one a try!

http://explorestlouis.com/2013/07/22/national-ice-cream-month-highlight-ted-drewes/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd