Magnum Dark Ice Cream Bar

Not long ago, I must have been super bored, and I sat down and looked through the junk mail. I was lucky to find a coupon for $3.00 off three Breyer's Gelato, Magnum, or Klondike products. I think there were some other products you could use the coupon on, but they were popsicle type products. Not exciting.

I haven't reviewed a Magnum product in a while, so I was happy this coupon forced me to buy one. I wanted to try the Magnum White Ice Cream Bar, but HyVee didn't have any. So I picked up these guys instead.



The last Magnum product I tried was a Magnum Infinity Bar. I expected these bars to be similar in size to those bars. I was a bit disappointed when I took it out of the wrapper and it was quite a bit smaller. They are at 240 calories, and if I were in my peak of training, I could definitely throw back two of these puppies with no issue.

The description of these bars is Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Dipped in Dark Chocolate 60% Cacao. They are also made with Belgian chocolate. Interesting thought: Magnum names the bars for what is on the outside not what is on the inside. I doubt all ice cream bars do it that way, but it makes sense given that Magnum does focus on the quality of their chocolate.



The chocolate is definitely the main draw of these bars. The chocolate coating was perfectly thick. You had to use some force to break the shell, and it didn't shatter in the annoying manner that thinner chocolate coatings do. I also think 60% cacao is perfect for an ice cream bar coating. Anything less wouldn't be dark chocolate and anything more would be too brittle. Which is fine when you are eating plain chocolate, but I don't think it would work well as a shell.



The ice cream in this bar was good, but not as splendid as the chocolate. It wouldn't do too well on it's own. It was pretty vanilla flavored, especially compared to a lower quality bar. The ice cream was also relatively soft and smooth, but it very well could have been my freezer not being the ideal temperature.

My favorite part about these bars was the shape. They were a prism with more a square face than a rectangle face. This allowed you to enjoy a solid amount of ice cream in each bite.

Gotta love the fancy shmancy engraving on the stick.


Overall, I was slightly disappointed by this product because of the small size. I would have loved to have more of it. However, I have yet to find an ice cream bar I would prefer over a Magnum. They have the market dominated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd