Archer Farms German Chocolate Cake

Finals week really cut into my ice cream eating.  This sounds counterintuitive; one should eat even MOAR ice cream to deal with the pain of studying for your own finals and grading your students' finals. I would have loved to do this, but I didn't even have time to stop by the grocery store to buy ice cream.

When finals were finally finished I made a run to target and, to use a Lizzy-ism, went ham on their ice cream section.  I picked up three pints of ice cream and quart of frozen custard. I originally planned to buy a single pint because I had a coupon, but I saw a new Target exclusive Ben and Jerry's flavor (review coming soon) and new pints of Archer Farms ice cream (a Target in-house brand).

There were a ton of really tasty looking flavors of the Archer Farms ice cream, but I finally settled on German Chocolate Cake, described as

Chocolate cake-flavored ice cream with a coconut caramel swirl and chocolate flavored pieces.




I can't say no to German chocolate cake, coconut is one of my favorite things ever, and a good German chocolate cake is as close to coconut nirvana as I've ever been.

One thing I noticed right away about this pint is that it was much lighter (in weight) than the pint of Haagen-Dazs and the pint of Ben and Jerry's I picked up meaning it was less dense with more air content.  Not a huge deal as this put it at $3 for a pint.  Accordingly the texture was pretty light and airy, but without feeling empty.


This had kind of a weird feel to it. I don't want to use the word slimy because it has such negative connotations, but this ice cream felt a bit slimy.  This abated a bit as I worked my way through the pint.  Maybe I just got used to it.

Now for the flavor. For the base I could tell they were going for chocolate cake and not plain chocolate.  I'm not sure they got all the way there though. The swirl was good and a slightly salty, but it could have been bolder and more abundant.


I feel like I've panned this ice cream and pointed out a bunch of negative things about it, but it was actually pretty enjoyable for a $3 pint of ice cream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd