Haagen-Dazs Artisan Collection Banana Rum Jam

I only have one more flavor in the Artisan Collection to try! The latest flavor I tried is Banana Rum Jam a collaboration with The Jam Stand a Brooklyn-based jam company.  Haagen-Dazs describes this ice cream as

Inspired by Drunken Monkey jam from The Jam Stand in Brooklyn, this uniquely flavored recipe combines a banana, rum and lime swirl into smooth vanilla bean ice cream.

After reading the description of this ice cream and the description of the inspiration jam, this became one of the flavors from the Artisan Collection I was most excited about.  Unfortunately it didn't quite live up to my expectations.  It wasn't a bad ice cream by any means, my expectations were just very different from reality.



First the great parts of this ice cream. I love the way Haagen-Dazs executed the banana flavor in this ice cream.  Most often, when ice cream companies do a banana flavor they go for a straight banana base which can be overwhelming.  Instead, Haagen-Dazs went with a vanilla bean base with banana flavor.  This. Was. A. Mazing. The warmth of the vanilla nicely mellowed out the banana flavor.  Also, this was some of the most natural banana flavor I have ever tasted.  It tasted like a juuuuuuuuust slightly overripe banana.



Now for the disappointing part. Based on the description of this ice cream and several reviews I've read, I thought there would be a pretty noticeable lime flavor.  Also I was hoping there would be a bit of bite or burn from the rum.  As the description says, this is vanilla bean ice cream with a banana-lime-rum swirl.  The swirl was so thin.  Sad face. Also, the banana flavor really won out, and I barely got any lime or rum flavor.  If this was a thick, sticky swirl I think the lime and rum would have had a fighting chance to sign.



If this was described as a vanilla bean ice cream with a banana swirl this review would have been an incredibly positive review.  As it is, I commend Haagen-Dazs for producing another out there flavor, even if the ice cream didn't quite live up to its potential.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd