Tofutti Vanilla Dairy Free Ice Cream

It has been way too long since I have reviewed a vegan ice cream. The last time I reviewed a vegan ice cream, this blog was quite new. In fact, it was just over a year ago. In that post I discussed how Schnucks' was upholding the dairy-archy. They segregated their non-dairy ice creams to a section of the store separate from the dairy ice creams.

Unfortunately, HyVee, where I spotted this unique brand, is also upholding the dairy-archy. However, here at the Big Muddy Ice Cream Blog, we do not support discrimination against, vegans and other dairy abstainers and their ice creams. Although we haven't done the greatest job reviewing these products, we do not believe you should have to walk to some weird out of the way section of the store to buy them.



Although, I am not a vegan, I am a lover of most things vegan, especially tofu. And as a lover of things not vegan, like ice cream, I was excited, and frankly terrified by a combination of the two.

So I'm going to talk about this product before I tell you about the ingredients. I took my first bite and the first flavor that hit my tongue was a really sweet vanilla, but it wasn't bad. It tasted like ice cream. Not like amazing vanilla ice cream, but like middle of the road vanilla ice cream. However, I was quickly hit by a weird after taste. If you eat vegan ice cream or drink non dairy milk you know what I am talking about. In my opinion, almond, cashew, and coconut milks don't have a bad after taste, but sometimes when you are eating almond, cashew, or coconut milk ice cream, you don't always want to taste almond, cashew, or coconut, you want to taste whatever the flavor the product is. I personally do not like the after taste of soy milk, and my major complaint of the last vegan flavor I tried was that soy aftertaste. However, the aftertaste of this product was not like that of normal soy ice creams.



After the first bite of this flavor, the aftertaste died away. Kind of like when you eat spicy food. If you eat it slowly you can really feel the heat, but if you put another bite in your mouth quickly enough, the spiciness, or in this case, weird after taste, doesn't hit.



The texture of this product was pretty interesting. It was not icy at all, which can happen with a lot of vegan flavors, as they are lower in fat. This was dense and creamy; you could really tell it was high in fat. However, it was unnaturally smooth. Kind of like those hairless cats. I'm so sorry I just put that image in your brain. But seriously, this was so smooth it was almost plasticky; it was gummy.




So this was my really smooth transition into the ingredients. I really don't think there is any way to talk about this without just listing them straight out. Here they are in order: "water, sugar, corn syrup solids, corn and palm oils, soy protein, tofu, cocoa butter, vanilla and other natural flavors, guar, locust bean and cellulose gums, carrageenan, salt, veg. mono and diglycerides, caramel flavor and annatto color."



This flavor tasted like it is. Fake sugary stuff and and weird gums. This ice cream might do better with a flavor besides vanilla and with some swirls or chunks or something. I think that would highlight was good about it and hide the aspects that were weird. However, since it was higher in fat than most vegan ice creams, it didn't suck too hard. I really really just want someone to make a vegan flavor that I don't need to describe as not sucking too hard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd