Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Swiss Almond

A while back I posted a review of some Haagen-Dazs gelato bars, posted the review on Facebook and tagged Haagen-Dazs. Someone over there saw it and sent coupons for free ice cream! Score! I brought one of these on my recent trip to Target. Unfortunately, the ice cream section was incredibly picked over, so I initially didn't see any Haagen-Dazs flavors I was excited to pick up.  Then a pint of Vanilla Swiss Almond caught my eye.  This is described as

An almond lover's delight.  Our dry-roasted almonds are lightly coated with sweet chocolate and combined with our distinctive vanilla ice cream.  Simple yet perfect.



This flavor is probably not something I would pick up on my own, but my friend Somyi recommended this ice cream.  She said it was one of her favorites because it wasn't too sweet.  Since I had a coupon, I figured that I had nothing to lose from picking up a pint.

I've avoided this flavor in the past because I'm not partial to Haagen-Dazs' vanilla base, and I didn't think the addition of almonds would be enough to make me overlook my feelings about the vanilla ice cream.  My first bite contained no almonds, and I thought my suspicions were confirmed.  Haagen-Dazs vanilla is quite sweet and quite harsh.  I tend to prefer a warmer less sweet vanilla.


My second bite contained an almond, and my opinion of this ice cream completely changed. Ok people, I have never had dry roasted almonds in ice cream before and it is an amazing twist on plain almonds as a mix-in. Dry roasted almonds as a snack are completely addicting. Nom. They reach a whole new level covered in chocolate and plunged into a pint of ice cream.


Even though the base is so sweet, I have to agree with Somyi and say that the overall flavor profile of this ice cream was more savory than sweet.  Each bit was sweet on the front and nutty and savory on the end.  Most times, when an ice cream flavor has a savory twist it has something salty, like sea salt caramel.  I liked this flavor so much because the dry roasted almonds were quite savory without being salty.  The chocolate coating on the almonds was quite dark and dry, which really enhanced the flavor of the dry roasted almonds.  The almond chunks were medium in size and I had about 2 to 3 per bite.

Straight up, I really enjoyed this ice cream. I definitely see myself picking this up again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd