Scrumptious Ice Cream in Arvada, CO

I'm currently in Arvada, Colorado visiting my grandparents. Obviously, any time I go anywhere, I make sure to visit an ice cream shop. Scrumptious is located in Olde Town Arvada.  I didn't know this going in, but Scrumptious is a micro creamery (Lizzy gives you the definition here) and was voted Denver's best ice cream.  These two facts help explain the excellent experience I had yesterday afternoon.

The whole posse, consisting of myself, my father, my aunt, my grandmother, and my grandfather, rolls through the front door.  We scope out the flavor menu.  There are some old standards like chocolate and strawberry.  There are some interesting flavors like white chocolate raspberry.  Then there are some mystery flavors with names that give no hint to the contents of the ice cream.  One of these mystery flavors was 'blackout.' We asked the ice cream maiden (there needs to be a word like 'barista' but for ice cream scoopers) to describe blackout.  It was dark chocolate ice cream with dark chocolate chips and bourbon.  I think all ten of our eyes popped out of all five of our heads.

My grandfather got chocolate, my grandmother, aunt, and father all got blackout.  I, being a hardened ice cream eating veteran, got a double scoop: blackout and blueberry pancake.

First, the texture. I could definitely tell this ice cream had the low (<20%) overrun required to be called a micro creamery.  The ice cream was super dense and creamy. It pulled, and your spoonful didn't want to separate from the ice cream in the bowl.  It was chewy and sticky and absolutely lovely.


The blackout was phenomenal. The dark chocolate base was tasty without being in-your-face, and it allowed the other elements of the ice cream to shine.  The dark chocolate chips were large (think about the size of Ben and Jerry's fudge chunks) and tasted very fudgy. They weren't frozen quite solid, so they were crunchy but didn't crack violently upon biting.

While the blackout was good, the real star was the blueberry pancake. It tasted exactly like blueberry pancakes with maple syrup.  I mean, shut the front door! How is that even possible? The most prominent flavor was maple syrup.  Now, you may or may not have noticed that I said 'maple syrup' and not 'maple.'  This is a fine, but important distinction, indicating to me that this ice cream may be made with maple syrup and not maple extract.  In addition to the maple, there was a definite pancake flavor mixed in there as well. I can't even begin to imagine how you put that into ice cream. Last but not least, the ice cream had bunches of tiny dried blueberries.  If you've ever had Post Selects Blueberry Morning cereal, you'll know the kind of dried blueberries I'm talking about.  Tiny, but with lots of flavor.

If you've seen Pulp Fiction this will make perfect sense.
Ice cream musings: I really think more people should use dried blueberries for blueberry flavoring.  This ice cream had some of the truest blueberry flavor I have ever experienced.

The last great thing about this place is that the portions were humongous.  So big we weren't hungry enough for dinner. ICE CREAM FOR DINNER ALL DAY ERRY DAY! Ice cream makes people children, it's wonderful.  Also it was cheap. The bill for all five came under $20.  I have no idea how they managed this with such a low overrun, but mad props.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd