Talenti Sea Salt Caramel Gelato

I don't know about you guys but I am so over salted caramel. Been there done that. But I still had not tried the mother of all salted caramels, the Talenti Sea Salt Caramel Gelato. I was at Target not long ago and relatively unimpressed with the Talenti selection, so I bought this pint, even though I wasn't totally excited about it.



I'm going write this blog post a bit differently, and go ahead and review the ice cream before I give you the description. The description of this flavor Talenti has on their website too perfectly explains how I feel about this flavor. If I let you read it before I reviewed the flavor it would spoil everything.



First the base. Yes this is salty. It is also still sweet and the flavor is definitely dark and complex. And it is sooo caramelly. Interestingly, the first ingredient in this pint is caramel! Because it manages to embody all of these elements at the same time, the saltiness isn't overwhelming as it sometimes is in salted caramel flavors that aren't executed as well.



This pint also contains chocolate covered caramels. There weren't a ton of them and they were rather small, but I thought that was perfect. The point of this ice cream is the base. However, the strong saltiness of the base would get overpowering if it weren't for the mix-ins. The chocolate was on the darker side. The sweetness and bitterness of the chocolate provided a nice, occasional foil to the saltiness of the base.

These caramels look suspiciously similar to the ones used in 2nd St Creamery's Copper Kettle Caramel


For my last thought, the description on the Talenti website: Sea Salt Caramel: it's so trendy! But our rich, golden Argentine caramel base that's filled with chocolate-covered sea salt caramels tastes like it's been in your family for generations. Thank you, fictional grandmother. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd