New-to-me Brand Alert: Choctal Mexican Vanilla

Prepare your self for a disastrous tale of my failings as an ice cream blogger!  On a recent trip to Tim and Tom's I saw a new-to-me brand.  (I feel like a broken record saying that.  I promise I buy ice cream other places too.  In fact, I'm planning a 3-stop ice cream buying extravaganza this weekend.)  Choctal specializes in single-origin chocolate and vanilla ice creams.  And that's it.  Chocolate.  And Vanilla.

I picked up a pint of Choctal Mexican Vanilla, described as

The complex sweet and spicy characteristic of classic Mexican vanilla is enhanced with the slightest added touch of cinnamon, unlocking a hidden note of coconut on the back of the palate.



Here's how I fail as an ice cream blogger; I only picked up one flavor.  I feel like the real draw of Choctal ice creams is in the comparison.  They would be perfect as the feature of a sophisticated, adult, fancy-dress, ice cream sundae party where everyone stands around and discusses the floral or woody notes of the various different chocolates and vanillas.  Luckily this is sold at several grocery stores throughout the area so I'm not totally out of luck for future comparisons.

This ice cream was great.  From Choctal's website, they have at least 16% butterfat so they can be classed as super-premium ice cream.  There is also very low overrun, making for a super dense and creamy ice cream.


When I first looked at the ingredients I was a bit surprised that the vanilla flavor came from Mexican vanilla bean extract rather than Mexican vanilla beans.  Too often vanilla extract imparts an unpleasant alcoholic flavor to ice cream.  This was not the case here.  The vanilla flavor was rich, warm, and complex without being overpowering.  There was no alcoholic tang at all (probably the difference between quality vanilla extract and shitty vanilla extract).  The cinnamon was not spicy and was more of an undercurrent to enhance the vanilla and particularly the spiciness of the Mexican vanilla rather than a flavor in its own right.

I give this 🍦🍦🍦/4 cones.  I'll definitely be purchasing more Choctal in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd