Ben & Jerry's Non-Dairy Coffee Caramel Fudge

Wow Madeline and I are literally turning into the same person. We are both PhD students, runners, ice cream bloggers (duh), for a while we had the same hair cut, we look alike, talk alike, and now we are reviewing the same ice cream at the same time. Freaky. I promise we're not twins, but at this rate we might as well be.



Lizzy's take: When I bought my first of the new Ben & Jerry's Dairy Free flavors, I got a coupon from HyVee for $.75 off two more pints. I've been waiting to make a bit more of a dent in the New Orleans flavors to make room in the freezer for my roommates to actually utilize the space that is rightfully theirs. Having done so, I went out recently and bought the Coffee Caramel Fudge and Chunky Monkey Dairy Free!



The description of this flavor reads Coffee non-dairy frozen dessert with fudge chunks & caramel swirl.




This is the non-dairy flavor I was most excited about. It is the only one that is just a dairy-free version of a pre-existing flavor. Also, other ice cream bloggers have liked this one more than the other dairy-free flavors. But on first bite, I was not impressed. I tasted the flavor of almond milk way more than the flavor of coffee. The texture seemed to be a bit better than the P.B & Cookies, not as dry and crumbly. The texture of this flavor was creamier and smoother. As I continued eating the flavor of the coffee picked up, but the almond milk flavor still lingered in the background.



Other than the base, this flavor was great! There were tons of fudge chunks. There were a bit smaller than in a standard Ben & Jerry's pint, but their numbers more than made up for that. They were dark and crunchy. There was also a good amount of the caramel swirl. It was quite gooey and thick and an average, slightly on the dark side, flavor of caramel.




But, in my opinion if you have to say "other than the base..." about an ice cream, it's not a winner. Sadly, I'm going to have to give this flavor only šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones. There was too much weird almond milk flavor going on.


Madeline's take: I've previously tried and loved P.B. & Cookies non-dairy, and Coffee Caramel Fudge didn't quite live up to P.B. and Cookies, but was definitely a solid dairy free offering.

I had this on two different days and liked it way more the second time I tried it.  The first time I tried it, I thought the base had almost no flavor.  The coffee was overpowered by the almond milk.  The second time I tried it I tasted the coffee a lot more (although it was definitely still a light flavor).


There were tons of fudge chunks that were dry and suuuuuuper crunchy.  I really liked the fudge chunks, but they were so crunchy that they kind of pulled me out of my ice cream eating flow.

The caramel swirl was very thick and delicious, but I didn't have much of it in my pint.

I'm only giving this šŸ¦.5/4 stars.  Even though alone they were good, the fudge chunks really threw off the balance of the pint, and there was something lacking in each element.  If you are strictly dairy free I think you should check this out, otherwise there better coffee/caramel ice creams.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd