Dane's Dairy: Topsoil Surprise

While Iowa and Missouri have their many differences, I've recently discovered that, like Missouri, Iowa isn't into this whole spring business and has decided to skip straight to summer. And by summer I mean weather with highs over 75 degrees. And yes I know I'm lame, but I'm a runner, so is it too early to be complaining about the heat? I'm really only partly kidding.



Either way, Dane's Dairy, a drive-through soft-serve ice cream spot in south Iowa City has opened for the season! I totally failed you, Dearest Readers, by not making it over to Dane's before it closed for the fall/winter, but don't you worry, I am going to more than make up for my mistake this summer.



This past Saturday I went to Dane's Dairy with my friends, Emma and Charlie. Dane's is absolutely the most adorable soft serve ice cream shop you will ever go to. There are amazing little farm animal statues everywhere and the side of the building is painted with fun pictures. It totally has the quaint and homey feel you want out of any good soft-serve spot. And Dane's has been open since 1960 so it totally has that nostalgic vibe.



The best part of soft-serve shops like Dane's is all the fun creations they have which makes each spot unique. The "Topsoil Surprise" caught my eye on the menu. Dane's also offers different flavors of soft-serve and frozen yogurt, which you can get in a cone or dish or made into a sundae or Twister with different toppings and sauces. They also have a chocolate chip cookie sandwich, an Oreo sandwich, a Peanut Parfait, banana split, and a Dane Bar (looks like an chocolate covered vanilla ice cream bar with peanuts?).



Because there was a deal on the Topsoil Surprise, I got that. As you might expect, the Topsoil Surprise was vanilla soft-serve with crumbled Oreos and topped with gummy worms! It was super delicious. The vanilla soft-serve was super sweet, but very smooth and creamy. It was also maybe a touch softer than your average soft-serve? There was a layer of Oreo on the bottom and one sprinkled over the top. All three of the gummy worms were different flavors. The gummy worms were the big ones, which made it a bit tough to eat the worm and get some ice cream and Oreo all in the same bite, so I ended up just picking off the gummy worms and eating them separately. I also mixed the ice cream and Oreos together, because otherwise, in my opinion, the Oreos are too dry in contrast to the soft serve. But those are all more comments on my weird soft serve preferences than the quality of this dessert. I absolutely loved it and it was the perfect size. They don't skimp on the sizes, but they also don't give you so much that you can't finish it!



I'm going to give this treat 🍦🍦🍦/4 cones! This is definitely a treat I would get from Dane's again!

Comments

  1. The windrows would act similar to a terrace, catching and directing water to increase infiltration and slow erosion. In addition, the increased organic material in the windrows would create conditions more favorable to earthworms. Future paddock divisions and tree plantings would then be located in regard to the Keyline method. The hardest part would be determining the Keyline and laying out the windrows to follow it, but it seems like it would be a relatively easy low impact method to try (no tillage required).

    topsoil

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd