Heyn's Chocoholic Delight and Key Lime Pie Cheesecake

I'm going to give you a little insight into the life of a graduate student. At 8:30 this past Sunday, my brain was pretty fried from doing work and I was caught up on reviews (for the most part). Basically I had nothing to do. I thought about just going to bed right then and there, but then I remembered I'm 24 years old, not 74. So instead I decided to go to Heyn's by myself, because YOLO. I live a wild life.

Heyn's is a pretty small shop and all the seats were full, so I sat outside in the cool weather to eat my ice cream, that's how dedicated I am. I thought the lighting would be bad for pictures, but they turned out great!


Well Heyn's was pretty popping, I guess I'm not the only Iowa City resident who decided to go crazy and get some delicious ice cream on a Sunday night. After sampling a couple of flavors I picked Key Lime Pie Cheesecake, which I had never seen offered before, and Chocoholic Delight. The Chocoholic Delight is described as Chocolate Ice Cream, Fudge, Brownies, Heath Bar and there is no description of the Key Lime Pie Cheesecake.

The lighting does make the color of this ice cream look a little lighter and less green than it did in real life.


Although I ate the Chocoholic Delight first, I'll start with an attempt to describe the Key Lime Pie. The base was like the filling of your standard key lime pie. It was a very sweet flavor with a hint of custardy flavor, which I would say pretty accurately captures the egg and sweetened condensed milk you use to make key lime pie. Now, as for the lime flavor, I'm going to be honest with you. I haven't had a key lime pie in ages, and until now, while I was pretty sure there was a difference between key limes and regular limes, I didn't know what that difference was. First, apparently "regular" limes are actually Persian limes. Key limes are smaller, sweeter, and less acidic tasting than Persian limes, and noticeably so. I would guess the lime flavor of this ice cream would match true key lime flavor. I noticed basically no tart flavor to the base. So while the flavor of the base stayed true to key lime pie, I think a bit of tart flavor would have helped balance the custardiness of this flavor.



There were also decent graham cracker chunks throughout this ice cream. However, I don't really know what the cheesecake element of this flavor was supposed to be. I didn't notice a cheesy element of the base, only a custardy one. There may have been some cheesecake pieces mixed in with the graham cracker, because I noticed some lighter color spots, but I couldn't taste any differences.



All in all I would give this flavor šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones. Good, but I would have liked it a little more tart.

The Chocoholic Delight isn't the first time I've had the Heyn's chocolate base, but it is the first time I really noticed how high quality it is.  It is definitely a milk chocolate base, and very milky and sweet, but with an incredibly dense/intense chocolate flavor. And while the base was great, I was bummed I was getting so much opportunity to analyze it on its own. Why? Because there were very few mix-ins. I got one small piece of brownie and a couple even smaller pieces of Heath. I also don't think there was any fudge in my scoop. It's possible I just got a bad scoop, but even with that, I'm only going to give this flavor šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones.

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!! I talked with the owner of Heyn's and she told me that the reason I saw no fudge swirl in the Chocoholic Delight is because the add fudge directly to the base. When I heard that my brain basically exploded with how awesome that is. So yes, this is basically, the most chocolatey base you'll ever eat. She also told me they just got new ice cream mixers and she is hoping that they aren't distributing the mix-ins poorly. I'm thinking I just got an unusually mix-in scare scoop. With this new information I am upgrading this flavor to šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones since I have a whole new appreciation for the base. I thought it was more chocolatey than other times I'd had their chocolate base and it seems I was correct! Also if I tried this again and it had mix-in levels like other Heyn's flavors I've had, it would definitely get 4! She also told me that the Key Lime Pie Cheesecake is a cheesecake base with key lime flavor added! Pretty cool and I'm thinking what I tasted that I thought was a custard-y flavor was the cheesecake of the base.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd