New Orleans Ice Cream Company Mint Chocolate Cookie

It feel like I am almost finished with my shipment of New Orleans Ice Cream, which is hard to believe. It seemed like such a monstrous amount of ice cream when I first got it. I guess this is just putting perspective on how much ice cream I eat, especially when I think about all of the other ice cream I haven't eat in the course of working through my New Orleans shipment!



What is most interesting about this flavor is the packaging. It a totally different color than the rest of New Orleans pints. I'm assuming this is to signify that the proceeds of this flavor go to the organization, Make It Right NOLA, which builds green homes to rebuild the New Orleans' Lower 9th Ward after Katrina. And no I don't mean, green like the houses are the color green, I mean green like these houses are solar powered and all sorts of cool stuff! It sounds like a great organization and ice cream aside, it is definitely worth contributing to what they are doing!



But now for ice cream. This flavor is described as Mint Chocolate Cookies & Chocolate Flakes Crackle Through Our Mint Ice Cream.



The overall flavor profile here is a peppermint chocolate as opposed to regular mint. The base ice cream reminded me of the center of York Peppermint Patties, except more syrupy sweet. Like the pepperminty base almost tasted sticky if that's possible. Now this isn't inherently a bad thing and I think would work really well if this intense base flavor was broken up by lots of chocolate. There were a decent number of chocolate flakes, but they were on the small size and a milky chocolate. I feel like the base needed some bitter, dark chocolate to break up the sweet peppermint flavor. And unfortunately, there were not a lot of cookies to do this job. The cookies were more like a light cookie swirl than cookies pieces. There were tiny crumbles through out the pint that didn't add much texture or flavor.



By foregrounding the peppermint as opposed to the chocolate, this flavor is definitely doing something different than Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Peppermint Crunch. However, I still think I would buy the Ben & Jerry's version over this flavor. I think normally I would give this flavor šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones, but because of the awesome charity, I'll bump it up to šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd