Capanna Gelato

A long while ago, I got some Capanna Gelato from New Pioneer Co-op in Iowa City. After eating some and being a bit disappointed, I found out Capanna is actually a local gelato and coffee shop with locations in North Liberty and Coralville. I was actually Facebook messaged by who I'm assuming is the owner of Capanna after I posted my review. He suggested I give Capanna gelato another shot and have some fresh in the shop. One of my major complaints about Capanna was the icy texture of the gelato. But as ice cream nerds will tell you, gelato is actually made to be served at a slightly warmer temperature than ice cream. So buying good gelato from a grocery store, as opposed to getting it in a shop, can be dicey. So I was definitely planning on giving Capanna another shot! When Brett was in town this past weekend, we decided to stop on over to the Coralville location for some gelato and coffee!



The Coralville location of Capanna is a funny little spot. It definitely did not have the crowded coffee shop vibe of most spots in Iowa City. It had sparse and modern decor and most people who were there were getting gelato and coffee to just hang out as opposed to study. There were a decent number of gelato offerings and deciding on flavors was super tough. I decided on Tiramisu, because Italy, and Wildberry Jalapeño, for something adventurous. Brett was skeptical of my choice of Wildberry Jalapeño, but I think I have pretty good ice cream instincts.

Look at that adorable Jalapeño!


I'll start with the Tiramisu. The strongest flavor in this gelato was the coffee flavor. It was strong and bold and I totally loved it. There was a hint of cheesiness, but I might have liked a bit more. The top of the gelato pan was covered with crumbled ladyfingers, but those were the only chunks/mix-ins. The bits of ladyfinger I got were soft and delicious, but more would have been nice.  Overall, this was a pretty good gelato. The texture, on the other hand, was worlds better than what I had before. It was soft, fluffy, and smooth. No iciness at all!



The Wildberry Jalapeño was amazing. The first flavor to hit your tongue was a sweet berry flavor, with just a bit of tanginess. There were even real bits of the fruits, I could see strawberry, blueberry, and blackberry bits throughout! As the fruity flavor faded, the kick of pickled jalapeño hit! It was just spicy enough that there was some heat that built up as I ate it, but not too much that I ever needed a break. It was super addicting to eat. I never would have thought that sweet berries and spicy, vinegary jalapeños would taste good together. But I think it is the fact that the flavors are all so opposite that they were fabulous together! Opposites attract! Again the texture was great, but with the added seeds and such from the fruit.

With our new ranking system, Tiramisu gets 🍦🍦 /4, so I would eat it again if it were offered to me, and Wildberry Jalapeño gets 🍦🍦🍦/4, so I would buy it again!! Definitely glad I gave Capanna another shot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd