Ben and Jerry's Boston Cream Pie

Leave it to Tim and Tom's to bring another amazing and rare Ben and Jerry's flavor to my attention.  I swear, every time I go in there, there is another Ben and Jerry's flavor I never see anywhere else.  On my most recent trip to T&T's I found a pint of Boston Cream Pie.  This ice cream is described as

Boston Cream Pie ice cream with yellow cake pieces, fudge flakes & swirls of pastry cream.


Oh, and enjoy I did!  I've had this flavor before, never reviewed it, and forgot how completely awesome it was.  If you've never had Boston Cream Pie, you might be confused when you google it, and think to yourself, "Oh my, this is a cake, not a pie!"  Yes.  It is basically a custard doughnut blown up to full cake size, aka, heaven.

I think it's a bit weird to describe the base as 'Boston Cream Pie ice cream.' I mean the pie is made of several elements including custard, chocolate, and cake, but the base ice cream only involves the custard element.  I also don't think you should call it a custard base because then people would just think of frozen custard.  I'm not sure what to call it, but imagine the center of a custard doughnut transformed into ice cream.  Yes, it's as awesome as it sounds.


Despite the custard base, the pastry cream swirl managed to stand out.  The pastry cream swirl was much eggier than the base, allowing it to really stand out.  Also, it was the perfect custard texture, slightly liquidy, slightly gelatinous, and smooth.

There weren't a ton of fudge flakes; I got one approximately every three bites.  Normally this would annoy me, but here it was the perfect balance.  It was nice to offset the sweet custard base with rich chocolate every once in a while, but it was also nice to experience the sweetness and complexity of the base without the chocolate.


Last but not least, the cake pieces were phenomenal.  They were so dense and sticky that they were hard to chew and stuck to my teeth.  Again, there weren't a ton of them, but this allowed them to shine and they didn't bog down the experience.

I would venture to say this is a perfectly executed flavor.  I'm giving it 🍦🍦🍦🍦/4 ice cream cones, our highest rating! (Meaning I need to stock up in case this flavor ever goes to the graveyard!  Actually, just thinking about it makes me want to cry.)  Seriously, if you ever see this in grocery stores, clean them out of their stock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd