April Blizzard of the Month: S'mores vs. Oreo S'mores

When Dairy Queen announced S'mores and Oreo S'mores as the Blizzards of the Month for April, I was excited and confused.  Excited because a S'mores Blizzard sounds awesome and an Oreo S'mores Blizzard sounds even more awesome, but confused because I definitely think of S'mores as a summer camping treat.  I guess I can't really think of any 'typically April' flavors that would have been better fitted to this month.

I tried the classic S'mores Blizzard first.  This is described as

It's back! The S'mores Blizzard treat with mini marshmallow filled chocolate bars, graham cracker pieces, toasted graham and marshmallow topping, and creamy vanilla soft serve.




After the disastrous March Blizzard of the month (Grasshopper Mousse Pie), Dairy Queen is back in top form with the S'mores Blizzard.  The toasted graham and marshmallow topping infused the vanilla soft serve base, giving it the flavor of the gooey innards of a perfectly toasted marshmallow.  The first few bites had a hint of toastiness, but that faded as I made my way through the Blizzard.  I didn't miss it though, because the marshmallow flavor was awesome enough on its own.

The chocolate chunks were large and rectangular, a bit smaller than Hershy bar rectangles.  I got one approximately every two or three bites.  I didn't even notice that they were filled with marshmallow because the marshmallow flavor of the base was so strong.


My only critique of this Blizzard is that I wish there were more and bigger chunks of graham.  There were some tiny chunks that added a bit of crunch, but I didn't get a strong graham flavor throughout, which would have been a nice complement to the marshmallow flavor.

A few days later I went back to try the Oreo S'mores Blizzard.  There's no official description for this, just the S'mores Blizzard with Oreo mixed in.  Since I already talked about all of the elements of the S'mores Blizzard, the biggest thing left to cover is how the addition of Oreos complemented this dessert.  The sweet marshmallow flavor was initially present and very strong, but as I made my way through the blizzard the Oreo started to take over.  I thought the Oreos went quite well with the chocolate bars providing a darker and crunchier counterpoint to the milk chocolate bars.  Overall I thought the Oreo flavor was too strong.  If there was a way to only include large Oreo chunks without including the Oreo dust that pervades the entire base.  Unfortunately, I don't think DQ's mixing process allows for that.


Lastly, I had way more graham pieces in this blizzard than I did in the S'mores Blizzard and I'm really bummed because it would have made the S'mores Blizzard amazing!

It's a hard choice, but I think I would have to pick the plain S'mores as my favorite.  The Oreo S'mores tasted too much like an Oreo Blizzard and not enough like a S'mores Blizzard.  It did, however, inspire me to make my very own Oreo S'mores.  I might even add peanut butter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd