Tillamook Toasted Coconut Fudge Gelato

On my last trip to the grocery store in Midway I saw that ice cream was on sale so I picked up a couple pints including Tillamook Toasted Coconut Fudge Gelato.

This gelato is

Silky toasted coconut gelato and rich chocolate fudge, sprinkled with crunchy coconut flakes.



Interestingly, Tillamook went with the technique of putting mix-ins on top of the gelato, something usually reserved for scoop shops where the shallow gelato pans make it easy to get a bit of topping in each serving.  Because a pint is deeper than it is wide, it would be kind of hard to get the toasted coconut topping in every bowlful unless you ate the whole pint at once, and the coconut topping was critical to the balance of the flavor.

The coconut base was good, but didn't read as toasted coconut to me.  It had a slight hint of sunscreen coconut instead of the rich warm flavor of toasted coconut.  This was actually quite good in combination with the toasted coconut flakes, as the flavor of the flakes drowned out the sunscreen flavor of the base, and the brightness of the base really supported the flakes.  Unfortunately the flakes weren't mixed throughout the pint, so you didn't get this winning combination in every bite.


The fudge was basically a giant, semi-hardened swirl of chocolate around the outside of the pint.  I found it was quite easy to break it up to distribute it throughout the flavor.  This was a pretty salty fudge, which I really liked.  I feel that not many people combine coconut and salt, and it should be done more often.  Again, the salted fudge would have worked better with a toastier base, but the base/flake/fudge combo was spot on.

It wasn't mentioned in the description, but the coconut flakes were 'glued' to the top of the gelato with a caramel sauce.  This added a nice light and sweet touch to the overall flavor profile.

I'm giving this a 🍦🍦.5/4.  The flavor was really good, but I wanted a toastier base and I was frustrated by the uneven distribution of the mix-ins.  With mix-ins throughout the pint instead of just on top I would have given this 3 cones.  I get what they're going for, but I just didn't love it in pint form.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd