Sweet Science Roasted Banana

I've been on a banana kick lately; two banana ice creams in as many weeks!!!! Ok, maybe not a 'kick,' but certainly more banana ice cream than I usually eat.  After really enjoying Steve's Southern Banana Pudding, I was emboldened to try another banana ice cream, so I picked up Sweet Science's Roasted Banana.

After eating this ice cream, I tried looking for it on Sweet Science's website, but didn't find it.  Maybe it was a special or seasonal flavor, but they have other banana flavors listed, and after trying this flavor, I feel more than comfortable recommending any banana ice cream, sherbert, etc ... from Sweet Science.



This was the most intense and faithful-to-bananas ice cream I've ever had.  I've heard of roasting strawberries for ice cream to intensify the flavor without adding extra liquid, and I guess the same thing works with bananas.  I would guess that the roasting process allowed Sweet Science to pack more banana flavor in without sacrificing the texture of their ice cream, leading to a very strongly-flavored ice cream.


Too often a strong banana flavor equates to a cloying and overripe banana flavor, but that was not the case here.  Again, I'll credit roasting the bananas.  I think this process really deepened, intensified, and rounded out the banana flavor with sweetening it.

If you are a huge fan of banana ice cream you will like this on its own, but if, like me, you don't LOVE banana ice cream, it still works really well as a base.  I tried this with two caramel sauces: an espresso caramel and an applewood smoked caramel, both from Praline Patisserie (thanks for the awesome present Lizzy!) as well as in the filling of an ice cream sandwich with chocolate brownie cookie 'bread.'  All three combinations were amazing.  This would also go well with a berry sauce or a peanut sauce or topped with peanuts.  The possibilities are endless.


The texture, as I've found with other Sweet Science ice creams, is slightly drier and more crumbly than I prefer, but it's not a bad texture by any means.

I'm giving this an enthusiastic šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦.5/4 cones

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd