Backerei & Eis: Black Currant and Root Beer Float

I'm in Utah for the next three weeks to do math, but I think I'm more excited about new ice cream brands and trail running than I am about math.  Oh well.

Gratuitous trail shot!
I'm staying at the Zermatt Resort in Midway, UT (hopefully there aren't any creepy stalkers out there!).  The whole place is very weird. It's Switzerland-themed, so all of the streets and buildings have names like 'Innsbruck' (which is in Austria, so, fail), 'The Bernese Event Center,' 'The Grand Matterhorn Ballroom,' so obviously there is a bakery/gelateria called Backerei & Eis.  I was super excited that I had access to gelato literally a minute away from my front door, but unfortunately their gelato was not great.

Backerei & Eis had a pretty decent flavor selection, and I chose two of the odder/more unique flavors: Black Currant and Root Beer Float.

I'll address the texture first because both flavors had a similar texture and similar issues.  This was a very airy gelato, but not in a way that made it feel thin or cheap.  The gelato is churned in house, but I'm not sure they've quite got the art of it down yet because there were parts of it that were basically churned into butter.  Also, this gelato had the most pull I've ever experienced in any gelato every.  I had to wrestle the gelato to get a spoonful.

Blackcurrant

Both of the flavors also left something to be desired, mainly because they started decently strong but majorly faded in the later bites.  On the first bite of the blackcurrant gelato, I got a sense the tart, strong berry taste that blackcurrants are known for, but after the first two or three bites, the flavor faded and I was left with a generically sweet flavor.  I give Blackcurrant šŸ¦/4 cones.

Root Beer Float
The Root Beer Float fared a little better, and the first few bites were actually amazing!  I've never seen root beer float ice cream or gelato before, but it makes perfect sense.  The Root Beer flavor was somewhere along the lines of a root beer served in a chilled glass.  Not straight off the grocery store shelf, but not artisanal either.  The flavor had a really nice fizzy/smooth blend that worked well with the texture of the gelato.  Unfortunately, as with the Blackcurrant, the flavor was really only present for the first three or four bites.  I'll give this flavor šŸ¦.5/4 cones.

Unfortunately, I probably won't be going back to Backerei & Eis.  I was hoping I would have great gelato steps away from my hotel room, but as it is, I'd much rather make the trek into town, into Park City, or to the grocery store to try some different ice creams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd