New Orleans Ice Cream Co Satsuma Dreamsicle

Okay, Dearest Readers. Time to apologize in advance for an epic fail. I do not have any pictures of the actual ice cream with this post. Many moons ago, when Madeline was visiting me over spring break, she wanted to sample all of the flavors of New Orleans Ice Cream Co that they sent to me. We ended up eating almost a quarter of this pint in our sampling, just because we liked it so much. Madeline took pictures of all of the tops of the pints so I would have shots for blogging later, but it took me so long to get around to this one, she doesn't have the picture anymore. And then, there was some iciness when I reopened it, so I didn't want to get that shot. And then I ate the whole rest of the pint while watching a super intense episode of OITNB so I forgot to take pictures. And basically I'm just trying to say SORRY FOLKS!

But the pint is pretty, right?


Now, this flavor is described as Satsuma, The Crescent City's Favorite Citrus, Is Blended And Swirled Into Our Rich Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.



Other than being a genus of land snails, a satsuma is a kind of mandarin orange. Before writing this post, I did not realize mandarin was a category of citrus; the other members of this category being tangerines and clementines. In fact, when you buy canned mandarin oranges, you are actually probably buying satsumas. Satsumas are very easy to peel, and like the other mandarins, are sweeter than regular oranges. Lastly, they are apparently grown in Louisiana!

As far as the ice cream version of this goes, I would say this flavor was like a classy version of a dreamsicle. The orange part of it tasted much more like fruit than a normal dreamsicle. And not just that it was sweeter or less tart, but it was fruitier. It had a very full, fruity flavor. The vanilla was also pretty high quality and strong. While they also used vanilla extract, there is vanilla bean in this flavor, too, and you could taste it. It is also really sad I don't have any pictures of the actual ice cream for you. It is very pretty. It is vanilla and the fruit swirled together, and the satsuma sections are a very vibrant, pinkish/orangish color.

All in all, this still tasted like a dreamsicle, which are not my favorite treats. But I did like this much more than a standard dreamsicle. So if dreamsicles are your thing, you need this flavor. Otherwise, maybe not. I'm giving it šŸ¦šŸ¦.5/4 cones!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd