Gelato Fiasco Maine Wild Blueberry Crisp

So I think this gelato might be the most Maine thing that ever happened. A Maine company making gelato with Maine blueberries referencing the classic children's book set in Maine. Do you remember the book Blueberries for Sal? I loved that book as a kid, and only after reading the longer description of this flavor on the website did I remember that the book was set in Maine. I really don't associate blueberries with Maine for any other reason besides that book and I have no idea if lots of blueberries are grown in Maine. But I expect this gelato to taste like Maine in a bowl!



The gelato is described as Remember blueberry crisp with a scoop on top? Our version has blueberries, crunchy oat streusel and vanilla gelato. Wow.

Also I'm currently obsessed with that "Wow." It is so totally necessary, it cracks me up! Now my childhood was more filled with blueberry cake than blueberry crisp, but I'm still loving this blueberry ice cream train I'm riding right now.



On first bite, the vanilla flavor in this is strong. It is also quite sweet, almost too sweet. Blueberries have a tartness, but it is more mellow than say, raspberries. When I get a bite of the blueberry sections of this gelato, I can definitely taste them and they are great. Like there are actually blueberry pieces in there, which are juicy and add some fun texture.



But honestly the too sweet and too strong vanilla gelato might overwhelm them a bit. The oat streusel is perfect though. I can taste a hint of brown sugar in it and it adds just the perfect light crunch. There wasn't a ton of the streusel, which is fine, because the blueberry and vanilla should really star in this show.



I enjoyed this flavor, and it would be perfect if it were a touch less sweet and if the vanilla base were a touch less strong. The sweetness and the vanilla just overshadowed the blueberry a bit too much. I would buy it again if I found it on sale, so šŸ¦šŸ¦.5/4 cones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd