Granny's Drive In (Heber City)

On our last Sunday in Utah, a group of us did another hike/ice cream combo.  I mean .... best combo ever or best combo ever?  Let me set the scene for you.  5:45pm. A group of five hungry and tired mathematicians determined to get ice cream.  Many things in Utah, particularly small town Utah, are closed on Sundays.  Everything in Midway is closed.  Granny's Drive In in neighboring Heber City is open until 6pm.  Hit the gas.  We made it with a few minutes to spare and weren't even the last in line!

As far as ice cream goes, Granny's does exclusively shakes and malts, and they have SO many delicious-sounding options.  I couldn't decide, so I asked the employee taking orders about her favorite flavor.  With absolutely zero hesitation, she enthusiastically exclaimed, "Raspberry!" I couldn't not get a raspberry shake after that.

I got a size small because I had ice cream I had to eat later that night (I bought way too much ice cream way too close to the end of my trip), but it was more than enough ice cream.


Ummmmm, this shake was amazing.  Soft serve ice cream is often overly sweet.  Way overly sweet to the point that it's not fun to eat anymore.  Not so with Granny's soft serve!  Obviously the ice cream was sweet, but it wasn't overly sweet and didn't have an overly sweet vanilla flavor.  Instead, it was almost marshmallow flavored, much milder and much more pleasant.  The marshmallow flavor complemented the raspberries much better than too-sweet vanilla soft serve would have done.

Now for the raspberries.  Wowee! No raspberry flavoring syrup in sight!  I swear that raspberries here are better than they are in the Midwest.  My suspicion is that most US raspberries come from Washington, Oregon, and California and the shorter transit time to Utah makes a huge difference.  The raspberries were the perfect combination of sweet and tart and tasted fuller and juicier than our paltry Midwestern raspberries.

This was an easy 🍦🍦🍦🍦/4 cones.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd