Park City Adventures: Java Cow Cafe & Bakery

I spent the afternoon in Park City, Utah.  Most people went in the morning for the Fourth of July parade, but I obviously went later in the afternoon to avoid ice cream lines at Java Cow Cafe and Bakery! God, I'm such an old fuddy-duddy.

After some intense Google-ing, I have determined that Java Cow is the only independent ice cream shop in Park City, and they make their own ice cream in-house, so obviously it topped the list of ice cream to try in Utah.

Java Cow had a good mix of unique and traditional flavors and offered single and double scoops in a cup or cone along with smoothies, coffee, and tea.  There was also a bakery, which I didn't check out as thoroughly.  I decided to get a double scoop so I could try two different flavors.  I instantly knew I needed to try Purple Cow, described as

Blackberry ice cream with dark and white chocolate pieces.



This was very thick but a tad bit dry and crumbly.  The blackberry base didn't have a very strong flavor, and I picked up maybe a hint of freezer burn.  There were blackberry drupelets throughout the pint, and these enhanced the blackberry flavor.  I really wanted the tartness they added was distributed through all of the base. There were tons and tons of big chocolate chips mixed in.  These were easily some of the best white chocolate chips I've ever tried.  Sometimes white chocolate doesn't have much flavor, but these were packed with the delicious, milky, cocoa butter flavor characteristic of white chocolate. Because the base was disappointing I'm giving this flavor 🍦🍦/4 cones.


For my second flavor, I asked the scooper if there was a single flavor that Java Cow was known for, and he gleefully pointed me towards Sami Dee's described as

Vanilla ice cream with dark chocolate chips, crushed heath bar and our housemade caramel.


I really liked Sami Dee's, specifically the homemade caramel sauce.  This had a much creamier texture than Purple Cow.  The vanilla base wasn't particularly noteworthy, but this was a good thing.  It provided a nice background for all of the mix-ins.  The housemade caramel sauce was Ah-Maze-Ing!!!  This was more of a true caramel as opposed to a buttery caramel, but it was still rich and deep and complex.  The caramel was right on the border of a toffee, which worked well with the Heath bits.  The chocolate chunks were much smaller here than in the the Purple Cow.  The Heath pieces were absolutely tiny, but were powdered throughout the flavor, almost making this a toffee base rather than a vanilla base.  I wish the Heath chunks were bigger, I think this would have made the caramel/toffee combo even better.  I give this flavor 🍦🍦🍦/4 cones!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd