Archer Farms Peanut Butter Caramel

On a recent trip to Target I was lamenting the fact that I had tried all of the Haagen-Dazs flavors on offer and most of the Ben and Jerry's flavors when I decided to take a look at the available Archer Farms flavors. There were a few that sounded interesting, but Peanut Butter Caramel really caught my eye. I thought that this was a rare flavor combination, but one that had the potential to be really good.  This ice cream is

Vanilla ice cream with a caramel peanut butter swirl, peanut butter cups and chocolatey dipped waffle cone pieces.



I didn't read the flavor description at the store; instead, I just assumed this would be something simple like a peanut butter ice cream with a peanut butter caramel swirl, so I was quite surprised when I did finally read the description.

To be honest, the base was absolute rubbish. I almost spat out the first bite because it tasted like chemicals.  Once you get a few bites into the flavor and the mix-ins start coming into play the chemical flavor disappears, but it's a pretty unpleasant first impression. Also, the texture was not very nice. There was quite a bit of air, which I expect from, and can often forgive, from cheaper brands, but in this case it gave the base an almost slimy texture. Again, not the greatest. The vanilla flavor was almost undetectable against the chemical flavor and weird texture.


Individually, the mix-ins were actually quite good, but the combination felt unfocused. Some ice creams can get away with this; Ben and Jerry's Everything But The ... and New Orleans Ice Cream Mississippi Debris come to mind. Both flavors have a ton of different types of mix-ins, but I somehow feel more thought was put into the choice of mix-ins.  Also, these flavors almost have an air of sophisticated satire or hyperbole in their choice and number of mix-ins. Their theme was 'all the mix-ins' where Archer Farms Peanut Butter Caramel really has no theme.

The peanut butter caramel swirl was really good. I liked the addition of a nutty flavor to the pure sweetness of caramel.  I'm thinking of trying to make my own version of this to put in some homemade ice cream.


The chocolate peanut butter cups were pretty standard, and I got about one every third bite.

I really liked the chocolate-dipped waffle cones.  The chocolate coating was fairly dark, and the pieces were quite large.  Also, the vast majority of the pieces retained a really nice crunch and were not at all soggy or stale.  Although I liked these mix-ins I don't think they belonged in this flavor.

Although there were good elements to this flavor I'm only giving it šŸ¦/4 cones.  The horrendous base and lack of theme were unsurmountable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd