Kemp's Kempswich

Today is national ice cream sandwich day!  I'm definitely eating a standard, American, no-frills, from-the-ice-cream-van ice cream sandwich today, but in the meantime, I have a review of Kemp's Kempswiches, which I had last week.  These are described as

Creamy vanilla ice cream between two chewy chocolate chip cookies and rolled in chocolate chips.


I have been craving a chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich for literally months.  MONTHS.  This is ridiculous, because all I had to do to satiate this craving was drive 5 minutes to the grocery store and pick some up.  I even knew that the grocery store had these exact treats! But I didn't until recently.  These sold for somewhere between $4 and $5, and with 4 sandwiches in the pack, they rang in at a little over a dollar a sandwich.

Bottom line first.  These were good, but all of the flavors could have had a bit more punch.  The first cookie I had tasted a little like freezer, but I didn't get this with the other ones I ate.  I just wanted to mention it, but it probably isn't normally a problem.

The vanilla ice cream was very soft and tasted like your standard, middle-of-the-road-brand vanilla ice cream.  Not a super realistic vanilla taste, but not flavorless either.  The cookies were soft and buttery, and you could bite through them as easily as you could bite through the ice cream.  Sometimes ice cream sandwiches suffer when the cookie or shell is too hard.  Then you end up trying to crunch the cookie and squish out all the ice cream.


The cookies could have been a hint softer, a hint butterier and a hint brown sugarier.  So, I've proceeded to describe them by what they are not.

I really liked the addition of the small chocolate chips on the perimeter of the sandwich.  They gave it some nice textural variation that is usually lacking in ice cream sandwiches.

All in all, these were not bad for $1 chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd