Dairy Queen Blizzard of the Month: Rolo Minis

I've been eating a lot of Blizzard's lately, but not reviewing them.  From here on out, I will try to actually review the DQ Blizzard's I eat.  On Saturday I stopped by for a Rolo Minis blizzard, the August blizzard of the month.  This is

Caramel filled ROLO Minis mixed with caramel topping and creamy vanilla soft serve.


Before I review this blizzard, I need to share the first sentence of the wikipedia entry for ROLO candies with you.  I don't think it's enough to just link the page because some of you won't read it.  Here goes:

Rolo (pronounced "Row-low", referring to the rolled-style candy is a brand of truncated-cone-shaped or frustum-shaped chocolates with a caramel center, the shape resembling that of a inverted bucket or tub or a traditional lampshade. 

Why? Just why? FRUSTUM? WE ALL KNOW WHAT ROLOs LOOK LIKE! Whoever wrote this was seriously freaking out about the shape of ROLO candies.  I mean, really, just one of those descriptions would have been enough.

This blizzard was really really tasty.  Normally DQ vanilla soft serve just does not do it for me, but the addition of the caramel topping really bumped the deliciousness up a notch.  It gave it an extra, delicate touch of sweetness that's lacking in the plain vanilla flavor.


The ROLO Minis were about the size of my pinkie fingernail, and there were tons of them in the blizzard.  Maybe I just haven't had a ROLO in a really long time, but I remember these being pretty chewy.  The ROLO Minis were not at all chewy, which was good.  If they had been chewy it would have been hard to keep a good ice cream to candy ratio throughout each bite.  The caramel inside was the same as the normal-sized ROLOs, but it was a darker caramel than the caramel topping mix-in.  This was a superb contrast.

I really enjoyed this blizzard.  It was way more complex than I was expecting, and I kind of wish it was part of the permanent menu.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd