Iowa State Fair Ice Cream

This past weekend I had the exciting opportunity to visit the Iowa State Fair. For those of you not familiar with Iowa, this is exciting for a couple of reasons. One, Iowa has a legitimate state fair with crazy foods on a stick and music and beer and butter sculptures and animals and giant vegetables (unlike the Missouri State fair, which unless you know something about showing livestock, is kind of lame). Two, presidential candidates like to hang out at the Iowa State Fair, because Iowa. So of course, I jumped on my opportunity to go.

Sadly, I did not see any presidential candidates I was too excited about: Bernie Sanders, Hilary Clinton, or Donald Trump (because seeing his toupee in person is an event in and of itself). But I did see Chris Christie, kind of cool, and two other Republican candidates who I didn't know well. But one of them was super passionate about Radical Islam and spicy chicken sandwiches sooo yeah.

I was able to peruse most of the state fair offerings before selecting my ice cream. Although, the Iowa State Fair is huge, and I probably missed something. I decided on the "authentic" or at least local choice, the Dairy Goodness Barn by Iowa Dairy Farmers; however, I think there was a different place offering more flavors. An option for next year!



The flavor choices at the Dairy Goodness Barn were Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, and Cookie Dough. I was waffling between the strawberry and the cookie dough, until I saw some customers in front of me receive their cups of strawberry. The cups looked like they had ginormous strawberry chunks in it, so my mind was made up.



In retrospect, I kind of wish I had ordered the cookie dough. There were no giant strawberry chunks in my scoop. There were small little bits of strawberry, but they were so tiny they were hardly noticeable. I was disappointed. This ice cream was also going much more for the sweet and creamy strawberry ice cream approach as opposed to the "this ice cream actually tastes like a fruit" approach. Althought the flavor wasn't impressive, the texture of this ice cream was. It was doing the surprisingly creamy and airy so it gets all deliciously frothy as it melts thing, which I find much more expertly executed as scoop shops compared to store packed pints.



I ordered a single scoop in a cup, and it was a satisfactory amount of ice cream for $4. However, it appeared the double scoop was actually twice as much ice cream as the single, and it only cost $1 more! If I hadn't enjoyed other Iowa State Fair food and drink offerings, pizza, corn on the cob, and a beer tasting, I would have totally gone for the double. I would sincerely say the double ice cream scoop at the Dairy Goodness Barn is the best value for your money at the Iowa State Fair.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd