Sam's Choice Blackberry Crumble

Today I have a review of Sam's Choice Blackberry Crumble.  Sam's Choice is a Wal-Mart brand so obviously only available at Wal-Mart.  After really enjoying the Coffee and Donuts flavor last year, I have been meaning to go try out some other flavors in the line, but am just now getting around to it.

Blackberry Crumble is described as

Blackberry ice cream with Pie Crust Pieces and Blackberry Ripple.



The blackberry base was very good.  Actual blackberries can be pretty tart and in-your-face, but this base shied away from that aspect of the flavor and went with a sweeter vibe.  I think it actually tasted like a 'mixed berries' flavor where blackberries are a large percentage of the mixture.  I'm a fan of bold, extreme flavors, so I would have liked this to be a bit more blam-pow-I'm-a-blackberry! but I think most people will enjoy the base as-is.

The pie crust pieces were large and square, a little smaller than a quarter.  These were thicker and less flaky than actual pie crust.  The downside was that this made them pretty dry, but the upside was that you could really taste them.  Sometimes pie crust pieces get lost in the rest of the flavor.


The blackberry ripple was the standout element.  I'm not sure if there's a technical difference between a ripple and a swirl, but I definitely have different images that come to mind when I hear these words.  To me, a ripple is a broad thin or thick ribbon of syrup.  Then these ribbons of syrup repeat frequently.  Imagine parallel planes repeating one after the other. A swirl is a thinner syrup.  It's not a broad ribbon, instead its as if it is drizzled out the end of a funnel and then stirred or swirled into the ice cream.



The ripple here was thick and gooey.  It echoed the flavor elements of the base, but was more tart.  In addition to the ribbons, there were large, gooey lakes that were a delight to discover.

I've really enjoyed the Sam's Choice flavors I've tried, and I'm making it a goal to not go a year in between reviews this time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd