Ice Cream at Molly's Cupcakes

I know what you are thinking. This is not a dessert blog. We've had the discussion, we've had the debate. This is an ice cream blog and nothing more.



And don't worry. I am not about to review cupcakes. However, there is a cupcake shop in Iowa City which also sells ice cream. I was out getting a few drinks during happy hour at a bar with some people, and while headed home, I missed my bus. Obviously, instead of waiting an hour for the next bus, I decided to walk home. Not too long after my walk started, I stumbled upon Molly's Cupcakes. A sign out front told me they had a few flavors of ice cream. My walk was long enough I definitely needed ice cream to help me get home.



The sign out front telling me there was ice cream listed the flavors available that day. I believed the list read as follows: "Cookie dough, peanut butter, Nutella, cake batter." The Nutella sounded like it would totally hit the spot, so I ordered it. When it was handed to me, my server said, "Here's the peanut butter Nutella." My brain exploded right then and there. The way I interpreted the sign was off a comma. Oh buddy.



The ice cream came in a little prepackaged container with a lid, which is perfect when you want to grab and go, like I happened to want to do right then, but not as exciting any other time. However, we need to remember, this is a cupcake shop serving ice cream, we don't need to get nitpicky over little aspects like packaging if their ice cream is good.



And this ice cream was definitely good. It was a Nutella base with what I am guessing were chunks of peanut butter cupcake, but I'll start with the base. The base was overall light in flavor. The chocolate was milky and light and there was a hint of hazelnut. Scrumptious indeed. My first encounter with what I know to be a cupcake chunk led me to believe this was a peanut butter swirl. The chunk was so dense and so peanut butterty. However, upon further inspection, I realized it was not a swirl, because it's was spongey and cake-like. And I was at a cupcake shop. It would make a cupcake shop would put chunks of cupcake in their ice cream. But these cupcake chunks were so dense and moist and peanut buttery, I could hardly believe they were cupcakes. (And yes this is not a dessert blog, but I've got to try these cupcakes!) The texture of this ice cream was hard without a lot of air. The best part about the texture was the way it melted. The ice cream got soft, not liquidy as it melted. I would definitely recommend eating this ice cream slowly.



From looking at Molly's Cupcakes Facebook page, their ice cream flavors are inspired by cupcake flavors. In addition, in their ice cream they use the middles they have taken out of cupcakes to fill with cream or something similar. This is why I am quite convinced the chunks in my ice cream were peanut butter cupcake chunks.

On the left is the peanut butter Nutella cupcake and ice cream. I'm bummed, I didn't get any chocolate chips, but I was there late in the day. They might serve their ice cream like it is pictured earlier in the day.


Now a little bit more about this shop. When I tried to find Molly's Cupcakes on Twitter, the first account that appeared from the search was a Molly's Cupcakes in Chicago. I was like nope, not what I want, but I didn't think it was unusually there might be a cupcake shop in another city also called Molly's; it's a common name.  So I searched "Molly's Cupcakes Iowa City" and found the account I was looking for. Interestingly enough, this account and the account for the shop in Chicago had the same logo. After a quick Google search, I learned the Molly's Cupcakes in Iowa City and the one in Chicago are owned by the same person, and there is another one in New York. I'm not surprised a shop with locations in multiple cities would chose New York and Chicago, but the fact Iowa City is their third location makes me feel super lucky!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd