Kemp's Frozen Yogurt Shop Raspberry and Chocolate

Raspberry and Chocolate is the second flavor in the duo of Kemp's Frozen Yogurt Shop flavors I recently purchased.  I was really, really excited about this flavor because lately I've been in the mood for fruity ice cream, but it let me down a bit.  This is described as

Creamy raspberry frozen yogurt with thick chocolatey swirl with semi-sweet chocolate curls topping.

Photo featuring my lovely Red Fuji poster.
The texture was the same amazing smooth, creamy, very-similar-to-ice-cream texture I have come to expect from the Kemp's Frozen Yogurt Shop line.  It was maybe a touch icier than the two flavors I have tried previously, but nothing like normal store-bought frozen yogurt.

Unfortunately the flavor was the disappointing part.  The raspberry flavor by itself was pretty good and the flavor of the chocolate swirl by itself was pretty good, but they clashed with each other quite a bit.


The raspberry was on the tarter side (as opposed to the sweeter side), but still had a rich, full flavor.  It reminded me of a raspberry reduction that might be served with cheesecake.  In that case, the tartness of the sauce balances out the rich, but mild flavor of the cheesecake.  As I said, alone, this would be a phenomenal raspberry frozen yogurt.

The sauce tasted exactly like Hershey's syrup.  I didn't have too much throughout the ice cream, and it seemed to be concentrated at the bottom of the container. The chocolate sauce was too sweet for the tart flavor of the raspberry base.  I think a dark chocolate sauce or dark chocolate fudge chunks would have worked much better.  As it was, I could taste the raspberry and I could taste the chocolate, but I tasted them separately.  They did not balance or complement each other, they were just there at the same time.


The semi-sweet chocolate curls gave a bit of much-needed richness to the flavor, but they were only present on top of the yogurt, not mixed throughout.

While this is probably my favorite pre-packaged raspberry frozen yogurt, I don't think I would re-purchase it.  Instead, I'd reach for a different flavor from the Frozen Yogurt Shop line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd