David's Famous Gourmet Frozen Custard: Vanilla

Alright Dearest Readers, if you haven't already figured it out, I live in Iowa now. I would be surprised if any of you did not know this, because I am still not convinced anyone reads this blog who isn't a close friend or relative of mine or Madeline's. But anyway, here I am, in Iowa. Of course, it would only be fitting for one of the first products I review while I am here be from one of Big Muddy's favorite custard makers, David's Famous Frozen Custard, seeing as the custard is made in Iowa and all. I've been super eager to try their rhubarb flavor; however, the HyVee I shopped at was out of the flavor. Devastating. Instead I chose the vanilla, because you can't go wrong with plain vanilla. Or can you?

So I was a total dummy and forgot to take a picture of the front of this pint before I finished it. So this picture I found on the internet will have to do. 


David's gives quite long descriptions of their flavors and what inspired them on their pints. I enjoy this because I like to know the thought or the story that went into my ice cream. I think food tastes better when there is some thought or feeling or story put into it. The description on this pint is Everyone makes vanilla, but ours is no "plain vanilla"! We use Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla (and lots of it!) to produce what I think all vanillas should be measured against. 



Whelp, sorry David, I called this flavor plain vanilla in my head in the store when I was deciding to buy it. Lets see if they can prove me wrong.




First, I gave a detailed explanation of what Madagascar bourbon vanilla is when I reviewed Selezione Siviero Maria Vaniglia Bourbon Gelato. But to sum up, Bourbon Vanilla has nothing to do with the drink, but the Bourbon Islands is an old name for a group of islands in the Indian Ocean, including Madagascar. This type of vanilla is grown on these islands.



After a bit of experience with eating David's I knew I should scoop myself some of the custard into a serving dish of some kind. Otherwise I would end up eating the entire pint in one sitting because of the extremely fluffy and airy texture of this custard. Then I would be pouty the next day when it was all gone.  Live and learn.



Now, it has been a terribly long time since I have eaten a pure vanilla ice cream. Possibly my memory of what vanilla tastes like on its own isn't great. But wow. My goodness. This ice cream. VANILLA. VANILLA VANILLA. Vanilla. So much vanilla flavor. I used to be one of those people who rolled their eyes when someone told me their favorite ice cream flavor was vanilla. This ice cream has given me a new appreciation for vanilla as a flavor. It is so much more than a base. It deserves to stand on its own! Well, when someone does it right, that is. And David's makes a vanilla so delicious in it's own right. The problem is there are so many ice cream companies that make a mediocre vanilla it is easy to over look the flavor as a whole. In the current ice cream boom we are experiencing with tons of culinarily innovative flavors, it is easy to lose your appreciation for vanilla. Eat David's and renew your appreciation. Your taste buds will thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd