Haagen Dazs Limoncello Gelato

From my last Haagen-Dazs coupon I used with Brett, this is my pick. I've seen it a lot in stores and thought about getting it, but until now, I hadn't worked up the nerve. The design on the package of this flavor makes it look intense.



The description of this flavor is Lemon gelato blended with vodka.

For those of you who don't know (like me, Mom and Dad, I don't know anything about alcohol, because I don't drink it! *winkwink*), limoncello is a lemon liqueur made by steeping lemon zest in a rectified spirit (a neutral flavored spirit, example Everclear) until the oil is released.  Then you mix it with simple syrup, more or less if you want more or less sweetness. It is also, apparently, pretty easy to make at home.



Technically vodka isn't a rectified spirit, but we'll let this one slide, Haagen-Dazs. And in reality, because a Wikipedia definition says something is made in a certain way doesn't mean it can't be made in any other way.

Now to the review. This review sums up as a clash between expectation and reality. Brett and I waited a few nights to eat this gelato because we thought we needed to be in a particular mood to eat it. We thought we needed to be in a particular mood because we expected this gelato to be tart and strongly lemon and vodka flavored.



In reality, this flavor was extremely sweet and hardly tart at all. It didn't not taste like lemons, it did and it was quite tasty, but it didn't have the tart and refreshing quality you would expect a lemon gelato or ice cream to have. And despite the fact there truly is vodka in this flavor, I could also barely taste the vodka. I didn't even so much taste it as feel the tiniest bit of alcohol burn on the aftertaste.

The texture of this gelato was pretty good. It was a bit lighter than other Haagen-Dazs gelatos I have had. It was also smooth. Recently I've been thinking about words to describe the difference in a good gelato texture compared to a not as good gelato or an ice cream. However, until reading the draft of Madeline's forthcoming review of Talenti's Coffee Chocolate Chip (I promise there are no spoilers!), I couldn't think of the word. The word she used, and I am shamelessly stealing, is slick. Yes this gelato is slicker than ice cream or bad gelato.

If you aren't a huge fan of tart ice cream, don't be afraid of this flavor. If you want a tart lemony treat, look somewhere else. Either way, this was a tasty flavor worth picking up!

Links of info! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limoncello
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectified_spirit
http://www.haagendazs.us/Products/Product/3775

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd