Haagen Dazs Artisan Collection Ginger Molasses Cookie

I know I am way behind on the Haagen Dazs Artisan Collection flavors. But I only recently moved out of rural Missouri and my Haagen Dazs flavor selection was not great there. This past weekend I moved to Iowa City and high on my to-do list was going to the nearest HyVee to check out the ice cream section. And buy food because I guess it is kind of necessary for sustainment of life. The HyVee closest to me isn't as big as one a bit further away, but their ice cream selection was decent. I do know I will be going to the other HyVee every once in a while because I am convinced their ice cream section is what heaven looks like.



But lo and behold, in my little HyVee there was the Haagen Dazs Artisan Collection Ginger Molasses Cookie which I had not been able to find in Eldon! There was also the Applewood Smoked Caramel Almond which has been pretty elusive for a lot of people. So look forward to my take on that flavor.



This flavor is a collaboration with The Good Batch, a bakery in Brooklyn founded by Anna Gordon. This ice cream is described as Ginger molasses cookie pieces mixed into vanilla cinnamon ice cream.



My expectations for this ice cream were it would be super tasty and super spicy, based on the Haagen Dazs Spiced Pecan Turtle flavor. However, I thought I would get a bit of only the base first and see how it did. Well, I did not taste vanilla cinnamon. I tasted cinnamon, but also the molasses, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg of the cookies. As if the spices of the cookie seeped into the base flavor. Upon second bite, I could taste the vanilla, but only a little bit. The taste of sweet cream was more prominent than the taste of vanilla. This may sound odd, but this base tasted fatty the flavor of the cream was so prominent.



My first bite of cookie piece was also surprising. They were crunchy! The pieces were small, smaller than a cocoa puff, but frequent, you could easily get 3 or 4 in a bite. As I kept eating, some were a bit bigger and a bit softer than others, but I would still describe all of them as crunchy. The cookies were super tasty and I loved that I could distinctly taste all of the spices listed in the ingredients. However, the could have been spicier.



This flavor did not provide as much kick as the Spiced Pecan Turtle flavor, and not only because there was no heat. In addition, if the cookies had been spicier, the fattiness of the base would have been a nice counterpoint, but since they weren't, the fattiness seemed out of place. If you want spice and you go to eat this flavor, go in hungry. The spices definitely built if you ate a lot in one sitting. I'm glad Haagen Dazs is exploring a flavor profile uncommon to ice cream, but I wanted a bit more. If I were in St. Louis and had a bunch of money to spare, I would drop the money on the Clementine's Gingerbread Love. Also, if you tried Spiced Pecan Turtle and thought it was too much, this would be a fantastic flavor for you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd