Fritz's Brownie Batter Concrete

Dearest Reader, I am officially moved in to my house in Iowa City! And by officially moved in what I mean is half of my possessions are still in boxes and I have a lot more cleaning to do before this place is livable.  But after a long day of unpacking, dusting, and scrubbing cabinets, my feet are tired and I need a break.

The exciting part about being in Iowa City is there are a bunch of new ice cream places to try. But before I try any new ice cream places, I have one last Missouri ice cream shop to review. This summer was a summer to revisit old high school favorites. I reviewed The Malt Shop and now I'm going to review Fritz's!

Fritz's is a local chain with a few stores around the St. Louis area. There is one in Valley Park, which is the next town over from Fenton, so it was a popular spot in high school. I have not been since high school and last Wednesday my dad and I drove to Fritz's to get some custard.

It was pretty busy when we arrived, but nothing Ted Drewes level. We waited in line for a while which gave me plenty of time to contemplate my order. I was deciding between two choices: Cappuccino Cookie and Brownie Batter, which was the flavor of the day. I love places that do flavor of the day because I am super indecisive. If the flavor of the day sounds good, then there is your decision! Brownie Batter was the flavor of the day, and it was apparently new, so I couldn't resist. And my dad was going to get Cappuccino, so I knew I could steal a bite.

Like a frozen custard shop should, my size small was huge. There is one size larger than what I got and one size smaller. At most custard places, the kiddie or junior or mini or whatever size is too tiny, but the small is too big. Why isn't there a middle ground?



So Brownie Batter was only the flavor of the custard. There were no swirls or mix ins or anything. It is nice to get something simple for a change. This flavor reminded me of Nesquik or hot cocoa mix or something. The flavor was sweet cocoa. There was a tiny after taste of batter flavor, but it was not strong. If you ate this concrete quickly you might miss it.



The texture of this was pretty standard custard texture, so creamy with little air. But it was a bit softer than Ted Drewes.

All in all, I would definitely give Fritz's another shot and try a different flavor before making final judgments, but as it stands right now, if you don't live close to a Fritz's, make your way to Ted Drewes instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd