Edy's Frozen Custard Strawberry Shortcake

The Edy's Frozen Custard line was an exciting concept at first; a mainstream brand doing frozen custard! The execution was kind of ho-hum with some high notes and some low notes.  The Chocolate Malt was flat-out disgusting, the Mint Cookies and Cream was decent, and the Peanut Butter Pie was pretty good.  I've seen the Snickerdoodle flavor around, but it wasn't exciting enough for me to risk wasting money on a bad flavor.  So why did I pick up the Strawberry Shortcake?  Two reasons.  One, I have never heard of this flavor. I saw it at Wal-Mart and was intrigued. It is not listed on Edy's website.  Is it a Wal-Mart exclusive? Where did it come from? Am I living in a parallel universe? Two, Lizzy got me a fancy-schmancy ice cream scooper for my birthday and I wanted something really thick to scoop to test it out.


This flavor was good, but didn't taste at all like strawberry shortcake to me. The base had a mild, sweet strawberry flavor.  The main strawberry flavoring came from gooey, saucy strawberry swirls that had a more intense and slightly tarter strawberry flavor than the base.  The chunks of 'shortcake' were smallish and quite dry.  They did not remind me of shortcake in the least bit.  When I think of shortcake I think of a dense, dry, flaky, buttery dessert.  These were airy and bright yellow.  They looked like pieces of Cap'n Crunch.


This flavor tasted familiar, and once I made the association with Cap'n Crunch I couldn't get it out of my head.  This tasted exactly like Cap'n Crunch Berries! I stand by what I said.  This ice cream was delicious but tasted nothing like strawberry shortcake.

The texture was the same as the other Edy's Frozen Custards.  It was super thick and a bit chewy.  Not the creamiest frozen custard ever, but not terrible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd