Haagen Dazs Tiramisu Gelato

Okay Haagen Dazs, you better be enjoying all the publicity I am giving you, because I am certainly enjoying these coupons. 

After trying the Breyers Gelato Indulgences version of a tiramisu gelato, I've been wanting to try the Haagen Dazs version. These coupons have provided me with the perfect opportunity. 



Tiramisu is delicious, but the Breyers Gelato Indulgences wasn't so great. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but the strange texture was too much to get over. When I reviewed the Breyer's, I promised you all, Dearest Readers, a review of the Haagen Dazs. And here I am, delivering on my promises!

This product is described as Cocoa ladyfinger pieces folded into tiramisu gelato.



So this is a lot simpler than the Breyers, but lets see if it tastes better. The base, on first bite, tasted most strongly of the mascarpone. After a couple more bites, the taste of chocolate and coffee grew. The taste of the mascarpone was definitely stronger than the other two flavors throughout the pint, but it didn't dominate. Mascarpone is, by nature, a strong flavor. The chocolate and coffee were definitively there, and I thought the balance of the three flavors perfectly resembled tiramisu. In addition, the mascarpone flavor tasted authentic and there was nothing artificial tasting about it like there was in the Breyers. 

The first time I ate some of this pint we had been cleaning out the freezer, so it got a bit melty.

The ladyfinger pieces were great. They were not soggy at all, yet crumbly. I liked that they were cocoa ladyfingers because they gave the chocolate flavor throughout the pint a little extra umph, to prevent it from being drowned out by the mascarpone. This was also not a chunk-tastic flavor. There were not a ton of ladyfinger pieces. About one every other bite or a little less. It is clear from this flavor and from the other Haagen Dazs gelato flavor I have tried, the cappuccino flavor, Haagen Dazs is going for simplicity with this line. Unless you are giving me a super unique or different flavor, I usually lean more toward liking the tons of swirls and chunks side of the spectrum, but I definitely respect what Haagen Dazs is doing here. Sometimes simplicity is refreshing. And although Breyers has Haagen Dazs on the "more stuff going on" front, Haagen Dazs still wins overall here because of the lack of artificial taste and the far superior texture.



The texture of this gelato wasn't as smooth as the pint of the cappuccino gelato I had while back, but it was smoother and softer than their ice cream. And no weird bounciness like in the Breyers. If you want a simple Italian treat, Haagen Dazs are your people. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd